[SOLVED] whats a cheap and good way to get an ethernet connection over 100ft?

May 28, 2020
My wifi router is in my living room and im trying to get ethernet to my room, I already have a 100ft cat6 cable that was gifted to me from a friend, and it doesnt reach my room. whats a reasonably cheap way to get ethernet to my room? This is for a gaming pc rig btw. Thanks in advance

Solution
Nope that is flat cable the wire size is too small. It does not meet the standard for ethernet cables and you will likely have issues the longer you go.
I know nothing about this cable but it costs about the same same and is pure copper with wire size 24 awg.
https://www.amazon.ca/PrimeCables-5...t+copper+ethernet+cable&qid=1590790191&sr=8-4

That couple is correct kinda expensive. Then again it likely is mostly the so called "free" shipping.

You can generally get cable and couplers and cable at home improvement stores. I though canada has both lowes and home depot but I guess it depends on the city. Best buy also sells both but is kinda expensive...

kanewolf

Titan
My wifi router is in my living room and im trying to get ethernet to my room, I already have a 100ft cat6 cable that was gifted to me from a friend, and it doesnt reach my room. whats a reasonably cheap way to get ethernet to my room? This is for a gaming pc rig btw. Thanks in advance
Define cheap ... Buy a longer ethernet cable. Buy a box of bulk ethernet cable, plus tools or keystone wall jacks. Terminate the cable to whatever length you need.

May 28, 2020
Define cheap ... Buy a longer ethernet cable. Buy a box of bulk ethernet cable, plus tools or keystone wall jacks. Terminate the cable to whatever length you need.
anything reasonable, Im willing to spend up to 150. I looked into fibre but its too expensive imo especially for my use

You don't need fiber for 100ft. Ethernet cables can go 100 meters just over 300 feet. It all depends how you can run it. Simplest if you can run it along the walls or something is to buy a rj45 coupler and then buy another ethernet cable to go the rest of the distance.

At $150 you might actually be able to get a electrician to run it for you thought the walls. Depends on how expensive labor is where you live and how complex the run is.

DIY I bet you could buy cable and the wall jacks for under $50. The trick with running it though walls is more not messing up the walls and having to spend lots to patch holes and repaint.

Reactions: beers

kanewolf

Titan

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
As above the cabling spec usually goes out to 100 meters (328 feet).

You could use a longer cable, do an in-wall run like described above, or use a coupler with another cable to extend your existing cable with an additional cable.

May 28, 2020
You don't need fiber for 100ft. Ethernet cables can go 100 meters just over 300 feet. It all depends how you can run it. Simplest if you can run it along the walls or something is to buy a rj45 coupler and then buy another ethernet cable to go the rest of the distance.

At $150 you might actually be able to get a electrician to run it for you thought the walls. Depends on how expensive labor is where you live and how complex the run is.

DIY I bet you could buy cable and the wall jacks for under $50. The trick with running it though walls is more not messing up the walls and having to spend lots to patch holes and repaint.
Would this be a good coupler? https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Coupler-Ethernet-Connector-Female/dp/B016B13U9Y, and also where can i get the rest of the cable because here in canada ethernet cables that ive seen are super overpriced. EDIT: i just found one on amazon, would this work? https://www.amazon.ca/Ethernet-High...child=1&qid=1590784837&sr=8-6&srs=20571815011

Nope that is flat cable the wire size is too small. It does not meet the standard for ethernet cables and you will likely have issues the longer you go.
I know nothing about this cable but it costs about the same same and is pure copper with wire size 24 awg.
https://www.amazon.ca/PrimeCables-5...t+copper+ethernet+cable&qid=1590790191&sr=8-4

That couple is correct kinda expensive. Then again it likely is mostly the so called "free" shipping.

You can generally get cable and couplers and cable at home improvement stores. I though canada has both lowes and home depot but I guess it depends on the city. Best buy also sells both but is kinda expensive. Walmart if it is larger might have it. Be very careful walmart sells that crap flat cable in the stores.

Solution