Question What's a component I can remove from my prebuilt that would prevent it from turning on when plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theextremegamer

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
I'd like to remove a single component from the prebuilt that will prevent the prebuilt from turning on when plugged in. I need it to be something I can easily put back in place later. Any recommendations?

The 20/24-pin mainboard power connector is the easiest way to accomplish what you want. Of course keep in mind it's also easy for anyone else who knows what they're doing to plug it back in and turn the computer on.

Another option if you wanted to lock someone out is set a boot password. Though again, someone who knows what they're doing can reset this.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How about doing something really, really simple. Flip the power switch on the psu. Honestly, it sounds like you are trying to prevent a 6 yr old from messing with the pc when you aren't home. The easiest way to accomplish that is to set a Windows Login and Password.

Pc's are built out of sensitive electronics, and work best when ppl leave them alone. There really is not a component that can be removed multiple times and not eventually wear out. That includes the main power plug. If you wear on the female side of the pins, stretch them out, you'll eventually get a bad connection and burn the connector, making the motherboard useless.

theextremegamer

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
The 20/24-pin mainboard power connector is the easiest way to accomplish what you want. Of course keep in mind it's also easy for anyone else who knows what they're doing to plug it back in and turn the computer on.

Another option if you wanted to lock someone out is set a boot password. Though again, someone who knows what they're doing can reset this.
Is it possible to remove this pin and put it back in at a later point? It's fine if I can't but I'm just wondering. So that would involve unscrewing the rear of the case and removing the cable at the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.