Question Whats a good AM3+ bolt down cooler ?, as in doesn't require removing the motherboard to install a back plate ?

Johnick

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi,

I cant encode video on my 7 year old FX 6300 anymore with stock cooler, after 20 minutes my PC shuts down and if I turn it back on straight after and boot into the Bios, it gives me a warning that the temperature has hit 80 degrees so the PC shut down.

I'm upgrading to Ryzen later in the year, once the exact specs for the PS5 come out I'm planning on building a new PC to match it, but I'm stuck with my FX processor till then.

I'm not in the mood to unplug everything, unscrew my motherboard, install a back plate and put it all back together again. Are there any good coolers out there that can just attache to the existing bolts on the motherboard like the stock cooler but do a better job ?, the only one I came across is the AM3+ version of the Wriath cooler that came with the 8370, but its way over priced.

Can anyone recommend a good cooler that will do the same job that's reasonably priced ?, thanks in advance.

Hi,

I cant encode video on my 7 year old FX 6300 anymore with stock cooler, after 20 minutes my PC shuts down and if I turn it back on straight after and boot into the Bios, it gives me a warning that the temperature has hit 80 degrees so the PC shut down.

I'm upgrading to Ryzen later in the year, once the exact specs for the PS5 come out I'm planning on building a new PC to match it, but I'm stuck with my FX processor till then.

I'm not in the mood to unplug everything, unscrew my motherboard, install a back plate and put it all back together again. Are there any good coolers out there that can just attache to the existing bolts on the motherboard like the stock cooler but do a better job ?, the only one I came across is the AM3+ version of the Wriath cooler that came with the 8370, but its way over priced.

Can anyone recommend a good cooler that will do the same job that's reasonably priced ?, thanks in advance.
Wriath cooler that came with higher Ryzen CPUs fits in stock AM3 mounts, no screws used. Should be able to get it cheaply from somebody that replaced it with something better and a lot of people are doing it.

Reactions: Johnick

Johnick

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Wriath cooler that came with higher Ryzen CPUs fits in stock AM3 mounts, no screws used. Should be able to get it cheaply from somebody that replaced it with something better and a lot of people are doing it.
Thats the wraith Prism/Max, which is the same as the one that came with the 8370, which would absolutely work but they are very over priced even used (at least they are now on Ebay)

Last edited: