What's a good boot drive that's relatively inexpensive?

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Hello.

I'm looking for a good drive to boot off of. I don't need much capacity, only really enough for Windows 10.

It doesn't really matter if it's an SSD or HDD, just so long as it's relatively fast, would work well as a boot drive, and isn't too expensive.

Solution

$40 is about as cheap as you'll find a "new" HDD.
1TB WD Blue - https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK

You could probably find some refurb, smaller ones, with long shipping times for $25. Is that worth the hassle?

Or, bite the bullet and $100 for a new SSD of rational size.
Or $55 for a smaller SSD.

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

I suppose it's my fault for not clarifying enough, but I'm not looking for a real fast and snappy SSD necessarily.
Just something at least as fast as my current drive (About 70-90MB/s).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Aye, I've seen that one. I'll keep an eye on it.

What about a HDD? Anything similar to my current one? (Western Digital Black 1TB(70-90MB/S))
Just looking to get as many options as I can. Only really need enough capacity for windows.

chalky16

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

If you are only using it to boot windows get a SSD. Way faster than a hard drive.

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Alright.

This isn't an upgrade for me, it's a workaround.
My current install of Windows has gotten corrupt somewhere to the point where it can't be fixed. I've spent all week trying to get it to work, but it refuses to.

So I'm not looking for a drive that will bring new life into my PC, just something to bring it back to proper working order.
If y'all think an SSD would work best for that, then I'll get an SSD.
I was just wanting to know if there were any cheaper alternatives that would work fine.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're looking for "just a drive", $45 for a new 1TB WD Blue would do the trick.
Or drive over to my house and I'll give you one for free. Seriously.
Or look around on local trash day for someone throwing out a PC. There is probably a semi-usable drive in it.

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Well, I'm looking to just get a separate drive for Windows. I have two drive that work for everything else I'd need.
And at 45$ I'd might as well just get that SSD.

I think it'd end up being a pretty long drive. I live out in the middle of nowhere.

So are there any cheap, reasonably fast HDD out there anymore, or should I just go with the SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

$40 is about as cheap as you'll find a "new" HDD.
1TB WD Blue - https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK

You could probably find some refurb, smaller ones, with long shipping times for $25. Is that worth the hassle?

Or, bite the bullet and $100 for a new SSD of rational size.
Or $55 for a smaller SSD.

Solution

Ropuchy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

I suppose I may as well get the SSD.

Thanks!