What's a good firewall

I haven't connected my XP Home machine to the internet and I probably won't as
long as my Win95 machine keeps working but if the time ever comes I'm sure I'll
have to use a firewall to prevent all the nasties from messing with my
computer. I've read several messages from people saying one brand of firewall
causes this conflict or this firewall prevents a certain application from
working right. Is there a firewall out there that will only turn on when you
connect to the internet and then turn itself off when you disconnect from the
internet? Since you only need a firewall when you're connected to the internet
or a network I see no reason to have one running all the time. It would be
nice to a firewall that's available when it's needed but then goes completely
away when it's not.

> I haven't connected my XP Home machine to the internet and I probably
won't as
> long as my Win95 machine keeps working but if the time ever comes I'm sure
I'll
> have to use a firewall to prevent all the nasties from messing with my
> computer. I've read several messages from people saying one brand of
firewall
> causes this conflict or this firewall prevents a certain application from
> working right. Is there a firewall out there that will only turn on when
you
> connect to the internet and then turn itself off when you disconnect from
the
> internet? Since you only need a firewall when you're connected to the
internet
> or a network I see no reason to have one running all the time. It would
be
> nice to a firewall that's available when it's needed but then goes
completely
> away when it's not.

Do you use dial-up or broadband? If dial-up, XP's built-in firewall is not
bad. It won't interfere with anything you're running, and won't stop you
from using standard internet services like e-mail.

If broadband, you're *always* connected to the internet (for most set-ups),
so you need one running all the time. You can use XP's firewall but I'd
recommend connecting a router between your computer(s) and your cable/DSL
modem. They are easy to set up.

Again, it won't stop you from doing anything. The only times I've had to
specify to my router to open ports is for hosting online games and p2p file
sharing.

djs0302@aol.comnospam (DJS0302) said:

> I haven't connected my XP Home machine to the internet and I probably
> won't as long as my Win95 machine keeps working but if the time ever
> comes I'm sure I'll have to use a firewall to prevent all the nasties
> from messing with my computer.

What are you using on your Win95 machine?

I use Sygate Personal Firewall. There have been no conflicts, it's free,
secure and easy to use. I did a good bit of reading and trying out
different firewalls before settling on SPF.
--
Mac Cool

On 28 Jun 2004 19:13:30 GMT, djs0302@aol.comnospam (DJS0302) wrote:

>I haven't connected my XP Home machine to the internet and I probably won't as
>long as my Win95 machine keeps working but if the time ever comes I'm sure I'll
>have to use a firewall to prevent all the nasties from messing with my
>computer. I've read several messages from people saying one brand of firewall
>causes this conflict or this firewall prevents a certain application from
>working right. Is there a firewall out there that will only turn on when you
>connect to the internet and then turn itself off when you disconnect from the
>internet? Since you only need a firewall when you're connected to the internet
>or a network I see no reason to have one running all the time. It would be
>nice to a firewall that's available when it's needed but then goes completely
>away when it's not.

Kerio Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com/kerio.html) is by far the best
personal firewall I've laid my hands on.

Jimmy Nilzohn

"DJS0302" wrote:
> I haven't connected my XP Home machine to the internet and I probably won't as
> long as my Win95 machine keeps working but if the time ever comes I'm sure I'll
> have to use a firewall to prevent all the nasties from messing with my
> computer. I've read several messages from people saying one brand of firewall
> causes this conflict or this firewall prevents a certain application from
> working right. Is there a firewall out there that will only turn on when you
> connect to the internet and then turn itself off when you disconnect from the
> internet? Since you only need a firewall when you're connected to the internet
> or a network I see no reason to have one running all the time. It would be
> nice to a firewall that's available when it's needed but then goes completely
> away when it's not.

Zone Alarm is an excellent choice of a firewall, and it's free:
<http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?lid=ho_za>

Jon

Phisherman

The best firewall is one running on a separate machine running Linux.
I use Jay's Firewall on Fedora Core and it makes all the Win machines
invisible on the Internet. It even blocks some ads and nasty web
sites, but it is highly configurable.

"DJS0302" <djs0302@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> I haven't connected my XP Home machine to the internet and I probably
won't as
> long as my Win95 machine keeps working but if the time ever comes I'm sure
I'll
> have to use a firewall to prevent all the nasties from messing with my
> computer. I've read several messages from people saying one brand of
firewall
> causes this conflict or this firewall prevents a certain application from
> working right. Is there a firewall out there that will only turn on when
you
> connect to the internet and then turn itself off when you disconnect from
the
> internet? Since you only need a firewall when you're connected to the
internet
> or a network I see no reason to have one running all the time. It would
be
> nice to a firewall that's available when it's needed but then goes
completely
> away when it's not.

I'm using Nortan Personal Firewall, all seems fine to me! although i got it
for free its not!