What's A Good Hard Drive For A Gaming PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homie258

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
I'm building my own gaming pc with a budge of around 800 dollars and this is what I have so far

XION XION Gaming Series XON-985-BK Black with BLUE LED Light Steel/ Plastic, Meshed Front Panel design. ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

graphics card GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Video

cpu i5 4670K

Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 GAMING 4th Gen Intel Core Z87 LGA 1150 DDR3-3000(OC)-PCI Ex GEN3

RAM corsair vengeince 2X 4gb 1600 MHz ram

What is a good Hard Drive? and are those parts above ^^ good for a pretty good gaming pc? I want to be able to play bf4 on high settings and so on. Your help is appreciated. Also is a SSD Recommended?

Solution
SSD is always recommended, it really takes your your computer to another level when it comes to every day use. You will not however see any performance difference in game, you would see quicker load times for a specific level or really quick entry times into an MMO but your fps will not be enhanced.

If it doesn't fit in your budget no biggy but if you can afford it I say go for it.

Homie258

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013

I haven't bought them yet. First I need to find out if theyre all compatible and work well together. And yes I still need an OS and peripherals.

Homie258

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013

Thanks for your input, Are there any SSD that you recommend specifically?

I currently have a 480GB Mushkin SSD in my main rig and a 120GB Samsung 840 in the laptop. Intel, OCZ, Samsung, Mushkin all make pretty good drives. I would just cruise newegg for the size you want and read the reviews.

Homie258

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013

ohhh Thank you :) if you don't mind me asking one more question, What is a good size ssd for my pc? I heard 500 GB is very good but I'm interested in what you think. I'm using this pc for mostly gaming.

For a pure gaming machine, a Samsung 840 500GB is perfect. No HDD needed. Note that the 500GB Samsung 840 is as fast as the Samsung 840 Pro, just a lot cheaper.

480GB and 512GB and popular choices for large storage SSD, if you can afford it it's nice to be able to place all your games and programs on it. It also depends on which games you play and if you have a lot of them. Some games can take up 30-40GB of storage. If you only plan on playing a couple you would probably be fine with a 120-256GB SSD. Just see how much your willing to spend.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.