[SOLVED] Whats a good headset for gaming and YouTube/movies

outlawstar15a2

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
So I recently had my X-Fi sound card go bad on me replaced it with a Sound Blaster Z which I thought was causing an issue but it looks like it's the headset. I'm gonna RMA my current headset but I am also thinking of getting a USB headset and just saying scrap it. What's a good USB headset for at or below $70 that has a good mic and speakers that will record and playback loud, sound good, and are comfortable on the head?

Also does anyone know a website that will allow me to build an entire gaming rig and give me the prices? I want to start putting together rigs and pricing info.

Solution
I've used standard generic realtek audio before without any issues.

Could be a hardware issue with the headset.

to really test if it's the headset itself, try using a cheap generic headset you can buy almost anywhere and see what happens.

Whether it's good or bad you'll be able to determine some things, but then do a return on it same day or next day and get your money back.

I never had a problem before though.
But then again, I've always used more expensive headsets and such.
Like my previous headset for a long time has been a Razer Man O War wireless, but has recently been replaces with a Razer Nari wireless. Both headsets are $150, but also I don't really use them on PC much and mostly just for my PS4 because on PC I just use a...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com for building PC.

That site is US.
If another country, use the two letter country name before the site address like so.

UK:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com

Canada:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com

As for a headset under $70 that'll sound good AND have a good mic you are kind of out of luck.
You can get great audio for listening, but mics will always be sub par and sound like a headset mic.

The good mics are on the headsets that cost double the amount.

If this is just for PC use only while sitting at your desk, you could instead go for a cheap USB mic option.
I would recommend the Samson Go Mic on a tight budget coupled with a cheap suspension arm and pop filter combo from Neewer.

Total cost for that mic setup is $48 USD retail before taxes.

As for me when it comes to headsets, I only use one for PS4 since I just use headphones with that exact mic setup I mentioned for PC.

And when it comes to the headset for my console use, I just go with something that's gonna be good quality in both audio/mic, AND build quality so that I know it's gonna last.

I personally like the Razer lineup.
My previous headset was the Man O War Wireless, but I've now switched up to the Razer Nari Wireless.

outlawstar15a2

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Also can electrical damage from a sound card with a short in it cause a headset to have a really low mic and headset volume? I'm using my usual headset and the playback sound at max volume sounds low and dead and people complain about my mic being really quiet but I have it all the way up and the issue didn't start till after my X-FI went bad.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
sound cards are the way the hardware connects so yeah. would make sense if the card is bad it would negatively affect input and output.

try using on board audio to test that the headset hardware or PC software isn't the issue (assuming your PC isn't ancient and has built in audio)

outlawstar15a2

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I tested with the onboard sound and the audio playback and mic are still low. I still need to use a 20 dB mic boost just to become audible. So I rolled Windows back to before I deleted the drivers for my X-Fi (the card that went bad) because headset was still working good and with the actual card gone and me using a headset that wasn't in the PC at the time and thus should be good. I tested with the Realtek audio and the levels on both playback and recording are still low. Is it possible the X-Fi screwed up my first headset AND the realtek is just crappy and doesn't produce low sound?

I replaced my X-Fi with a Sound Blaster Z which I found out after the fact is known for low mic/playback volume. But I deleted the Z drivers and it's leftovers AND rolled back the system before I took out the X-Fi. So I don't know what else is causing the low playback and recording issue.

outlawstar15a2

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I tested with the onboard sound and the audio playback and mic are still low. I still need to use a 20 dB mic boost just to become audible. So I rolled Windows back to before I deleted the drivers for my X-Fi (the card that went bad) because headset was still working good and with the actual card gone and me using a headset that wasn't in the PC at the time and thus should be good. I tested with the Realtek audio and the levels on both playback and recording are still low. Is it possible the X-Fi screwed up my first headset AND the realtek is just crappy and doesn't produce low sound?

I replaced my X-Fi with a Sound Blaster Z which I found out after the fact is known for low mic/playback volume. But I deleted the Z drivers and it's leftovers AND rolled back the system before I took out the X-Fi. So I don't know what else is causing the low playback and recording issue.

Since I can't rebuy the X-Fi card I had and the Z is known for this issue. Perhaps I need to buy a 3rd Sound card that is better then the Z AND get a new copy of my headset? Or should I get a USB headset? Like I don't know what to do.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I've used standard generic realtek audio before without any issues.

Could be a hardware issue with the headset.

to really test if it's the headset itself, try using a cheap generic headset you can buy almost anywhere and see what happens.

Whether it's good or bad you'll be able to determine some things, but then do a return on it same day or next day and get your money back.

I never had a problem before though.
But then again, I've always used more expensive headsets and such.
Like my previous headset for a long time has been a Razer Man O War wireless, but has recently been replaces with a Razer Nari wireless. Both headsets are $150, but also I don't really use them on PC much and mostly just for my PS4 because on PC I just use a pair of Bluetooth headphones that can be connected with a cable and I go back and forth between hardlined and wireless, and for a mic I use a dedicated USB microphone.

Solution