[SOLVED] What's a good motherboard for the rysen 5600x or any of the higher processors?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Im considering getting one of the new CPUs and the GPU by amd but I was wondering what you guys think would be a good motherboard to go along side them. I was thinking any kinda of AMD one but I'm not sure. Also the Ram I know it says it works best with 3200 MHz or more right?

Last edited:
Solution
Im considering getting one of the new CPUs and the GPU by amd but I was wondering what you guys think would be a good motherboard to go along side them. I was thinking any kinda of AMD one but I'm not sure. Also the Ram I know it says it works best with 3200 MHz or more right?
For a 5600X or 5800X ANY B550 or X570 would do just fine as they are very power efficient. And even though a 5900X and 5950X are too, they have a lot of cores. So X570 in particular I'd be a bit picky for a 5900X and very picky for a 5950X for either X570 or B550. So you have to be specific about CPU.

In general, only look at X570 if you have a very specific need for the extra PCIe lanes for add-in cards and such. Otherwise you're likely to get stuck...
I don't think I am. I just think X570 should be bought for what it's good at and not a reflex reaction to 'it's Zen3 so it must go on X570'. B550 boards are so extremely capable now there's no reason not to put even 5950X's on the right B550 and overclock 24/7 if that's what you want to do. While there are a lot of B550's you can do that on, there's also X570's I'd not want to run a 5950 on even in stock.

What X570 is good for is making lot of PCIe gen 4 lanes available for high bandwidth AIC's. There's a lot of people who need that.

And I've made so suggestion either way for the B550 or x570. Either is a good choice and the B550 is likely the better alternative for the majority of users.

I only took issue with the chipset fan. People made a huge fuss about it at launch. I simply stated as an x570 user, the Asus product is silent as it doesn't run often or at audible levels.

A case fan is easier to replace but a chipset fan is not rocket science either. Fans are a technology that has been around for some time, they are reliable and last a long time.

Ive had 2 small fans on the asus z77 sabertooth. I always ran them plus two minutes after shutdown. That board is about 8 years old now. Its still running fine.

That said when they do run they are noisy.

The x570 bus chipset fan doesnt run 100%. Only when it gets hot running additional slots at high speed.

Yes it does contains additional phases. But unless you're doing serious overclocking with a open loop you really wont need them. Plus ive seen some bad x570 implementations.

And its doubtful you'll use the additional pcie4 lanes unless you want pcie4 nvme drives you dont need it.

Last edited: