[SOLVED] What's a good motherboard for the rysen 5600x or any of the higher processors?

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Im considering getting one of the new CPUs and the GPU by amd but I was wondering what you guys think would be a good motherboard to go along side them. I was thinking any kinda of AMD one but I'm not sure. Also the Ram I know it says it works best with 3200 MHz or more right?

Last edited:
Solution
Im considering getting one of the new CPUs and the GPU by amd but I was wondering what you guys think would be a good motherboard to go along side them. I was thinking any kinda of AMD one but I'm not sure. Also the Ram I know it says it works best with 3200 MHz or more right?
For a 5600X or 5800X ANY B550 or X570 would do just fine as they are very power efficient. And even though a 5900X and 5950X are too, they have a lot of cores. So X570 in particular I'd be a bit picky for a 5900X and very picky for a 5950X for either X570 or B550. So you have to be specific about CPU.

In general, only look at X570 if you have a very specific need for the extra PCIe lanes for add-in cards and such. Otherwise you're likely to get stuck...

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Motherboard | MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $299.94 @ Amazon
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $74.94 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $374.88
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-08 05:06 EST-0500 |
Yeah that looks pretty decent, thanks for that.
Because I've already got the PSU 850watt one and storage may just need a bigger case if that motherboards big and the rest should be good.

You thinking of upgrading to these new ones at all?

For a 5600X or 5800X ANY B550 or X570 would do just fine as they are very power efficient. And even though a 5900X and 5950X are too, they have a lot of cores. So X570 in particular I'd be a bit picky for a 5900X and very picky for a 5950X for either X570 or B550. So you have to be specific about CPU.

In general, only look at X570 if you have a very specific need for the extra PCIe lanes for add-in cards and such. Otherwise you're likely to get stuck with a chipset fan and have to deal with keeping it quiet.

Also keep in mind that a 5600X is the gaming king even though it's not top gaming performer; it's so close for gaming ALONE that the extra cost going up-stack is just not worth it. Any performance improvement is unnoticeable and only measurable at low gaming resolution with very expensive GPU's.

Last edited:
Solution

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016

In general, only look at X570 if you have a very specific need for the extra PCIe lanes for add-in cards and such. Otherwise you're likely to get stuck with a chipset fan and have to deal with keeping it quiet.

Also keep in mind that a 5600X is the gaming king even though it's not top gaming performer; it's so close for gaming ALONE that the extra cost going up-stack is just not worth it. Any performance improvement is unnoticeable and only measurable at low gaming resolution with very expensive GPU's.
Oh ok well I'm going to use it mostly for gaming and watching videos. I was thinking of going with the 5600 or the 5800 one and getting better ram and the motherboard.

So what do you think about hellfires suggestion and this one I found for either the Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-X570-ACE/Specification

Last edited:
Oh ok well I'm going to use it mostly for gaming and watching videos. I was thinking of going with the 5600 or the 5800 one and getting better ram and the motherboard.

So what do you think about hellfires suggestion
I would not pick an X570...just because of the chipset fan. An X570 Tomahawk is an awesome board...but awesomely expensive for it too.

Do not waste your money on the 5800X for gaming...and definitely not for watching videos. The 5600X is all that's needed, but if you insist on one even that will work on any B550 and save you a bundle potentially. Even getting one of the midrange B550...like an Asus B550 ROG Strix-F, in the 140-150USD range works well even with a 5950X, overclocked. If hard-over on a Tomahawk, the B550 tomahawk should come in the 180-190 range, save a lot on the X570 Tomahawk and still work well even with a 5950X.

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
I would not pick an X570...just because of the chipset fan. An X570 Tomahawk is an awesome board...but awesomely expensive for it too.

Do not waste your money on the 5800X for gaming...and definitely not for watching videos. The 5600X is all that's needed, but if you insist on one even that will work on any B550 and save you a bundle potentially. Even getting one of the midrange B550...like an Asus B550 ROG Strix-F, in the 140-150USD range works well. If hard-over on a Tomahawk, the B550 tomahawk should come in the 180-190 range and save a lot on the X570 Tomahawk.
Oh right ok thanks, that's good then and these cheaper ones will be good enough with the new graphics cards and CPU together as well?

... good enough with the new graphics cards and CPU together as well?
Definitely yes....they have PCIe gen 4 to the GPU sockets and as well support SAM with the the new Radeon 6000 GPU's when they come out.

EDIT added..

And about RAM... right now it's sounding like there's a problem getting RAM over 3200 for Zen3 CPU's. I think it's an issue with AGESA though. Maybe someone has more info but Zen3 is supposedly much more reliable getting FCLK in sync up to as high as 2066Mhz, which means memory clocks up to 4133. But I'm sure that will still be CPU silicon quality dependent, and only with some tweaking of individual timings on the part of the overclocker, once AMD has an AGESA out with improved memory support.

Last edited:

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Definitely yes....they have PCIe gen 4 to the GPU sockets and as well support SAM with the the new Radeon 6000 GPU's when they come out.
Very nice so if I get the 5600 I looked around and I like msi so I was thinking this motherboard below, find some ram that's got more than 3200mhz or so and ddr4 16 GB and then choose between the graphics cards when there's reviews and I should have everything else ready really. I've got an evga 850 watt PSU storage SSD one and barracuda sshd. I have a mid tower is that enough you think for this motherboard size?

And thanks for all your help are you getting any of these you think?

Https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...e-40-dual-m2-crossfire-gbe-usb-32-gen2-aplusc

Very nice so if I get the 5600 I looked around and I like msi so I was thinking this motherboard below, find some ram that's got more than 3200mhz or so and ddr4 16 GB and then choose between the graphics cards when there's reviews and I should have everything else ready really. I've got an evga 850 watt PSU storage SSD one and barracuda sshd. I have a mid tower is that enough you think for this motherboard size?

And thanks for all your help are you getting any of these you think?

Https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...e-40-dual-m2-crossfire-gbe-usb-32-gen2-aplusc
That board would do fine for a 5600X or a 5800X, I'd be a bit more cautious moving up to 5900X or 5950X though.

Go check the edit on my prior post on memory. One thing I've noticed is the reviewers are testing at 3200, with none of the trustworthy ones I've seen using over that. Maybe because that's what AMD wanted, I'm not sure, but I can bet some will be forthcoming. I'd watch Buildzoid YT channel. I suspect the end result will be that oc's above 3600 will offer such little performance benefit it's not worth it for all the tuning/tweaking you have to do to get it stable.

Wait for reviews of 6000 series to see what power draw is like, but even for a 3080 I have to think an 850W PSU is adequate with a 5600 or 5800.

Some mid-size cases fit mATX so check yours to make sure it fits an ATX. If so, it's good to go. But as always a case should have good airflow or it will just cause problems.

And nope, I'm probably not going to get a 5000 series as I'm content with my 3700X PBO'd on a B450m Mortar.

Last edited:

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
That board would do fine for a 5600X or a 5800X, I'd be a bit more cautious moving up to 5900X or 5950X though.

Go check the edit on my prior post on memory. One thing I've noticed is the reviewers are testing at 3200, with none of the trustworthy ones I've seen using over that. Maybe because that's what AMD wanted, I'm not sure, but I can bet some will be forthcoming. I'd watch Buildzoid YT channel. I suspect the end result will be that oc's above 3600 will offer such little performance benefit it's not worth it for all the tuning/tweaking you have to do to get it stable.

Waiting for reviews of 6000 series to see what power draw is like, but even for a 3080 I have to think an 850W PSU is adequate with a 5600 or 5800.

Some mid-size cases fit mATX so check yours to make sure it fits an ATX. If so, it's good to go. But as always a case should have good airflow or it will just cause problems.

And nope, I'm probably not going to get a 5000 series as I'm content with my 3700X PBO'd on a B450m Mortar.
Ah yeah see I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and its a good feeling to have not bought the 2080s lol so thought this upgrade would be worth it lol.

I'm not too good with airflow do you have any recommended vids or channels for that?

And I'll check that guy out you linked thanks for all the help manuch appreciated.

I'm not too good with airflow do you have any recommended vids or channels for that?
Airflow is actually pretty easy...you want cool air coming in the front and lower part of case, and hot heated air going out the top and rear part of the case. Fill every fan location with the largest fan it can hold...fans in front drawing air in, fans at top blowing out. You use as many and largest fans so they don't have to turn fast to move a lot of air. Slower fan speed means it's nice and quiet.

Also, to aid with air movement bundle cables neatly and/or in the empty space between right side cover and motherboard tray for as little blockage as possible. Case designers have a habit of putting solid covers in front that don't let fans draw in cool air...a mesh front is usually preferred for that.

Watch GamersNexus vids. Steve (Tech Jesus he's called...you'll see why) has regular rants on badly designed cases and will explain why in the reviews.

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Airflow is actually pretty easy...you want cool air coming in the front and lower part of case, and hot heated air going out the top and rear part of the case. Fill every fan location with the largest fan it can hold...fans in front drawing air in, fans at top blowing out. You use as many and largest fans so they don't have to turn fast to move a lot of air. Slower fan speed means it's nice and quiet.

Also, to aid with air movement bundle cables neatly and/or in the empty space between right side cover and motherboard tray for as little blockage as possible. Case designers have a habit of putting solid covers in front that don't let fans draw in cool air...a mesh front is usually preferred for that.

Watch GamersNexus vids. Steve (Tech Jesus he's called...you'll see why) has regular rants on badly designed cases and will explain why in the reviews.
Ah no way I never thought of it like that so I guess you can tell if a fans blowing a certain direction and then make the ones at the front blow inwards and one at the top out to complete the flow never really thought about that. Something really import though Im guessing.

I'll check that guys vid out as well but who need YouTube when we got you the mastermind 😂. Thanks again for your help its opened my eyes and.mind more to pcs so thx

You'll want a b550 or x570 mb

Msi has been guilty of shinanigans so i took them off my buy list.

The asrock steel legend b550m is a good one
Most asus are decent. Stay away from prime series. Tuf brand is okay. Rog is top of the line.
Gigabyte is okay.

The word is the ryzen 5000 series will clock the fsb to 4000mhz However there isnt much benefit past 3200 memory because of how efficient the unified cache is. You actually benefit from using 4 sticks of ram by quite a bit. (As per Steve at Gamers nexus)

so 4x8 @ 3200 (sweet spot)
or 4x8 @ 3600 might be the max sweet spot

You actually benefit from using 4 sticks of ram by quite a bit. (As per Steve at Gamers nexus)

so 4x8 @ 3200 (sweet spot)
or 4x8 @ 3600 might be the max sweet spot
While that is true, the 3200mhz kit used in the tests is CL14 which is more expensive and difficult to find, as per Steve himself. 3600mhz CL16 is more in supply and less expensive.
This is probably first time a dual channel platform is more efficient with quad channel array. :unsure:

Msi has been guilty of shinanigans so i took them off my buy list
Indeed they were with the previous gen., but for this gen. atleast they are giving the better BIOS earlier than others...
"MSI has gone one better and bundled AGESA v2 1.1.0.x firmware, which should deliver the 'best experience' for AMD 500 series chipsets paired with Ryzen 5000 processors "
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...il-January-2021-at-the-earliest.497827.0.html

On a side note, while the b550 can easily handle the new Ryzen processors, for this gen. I would go with the x570 chipset simply for its better power cycles, power limits and VRMs overall for sustained loads. At current price points, the b550 boards are almost equally expensive in spite of missing out the PCIe4 support.

Last edited:

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
While that is true, the 3200mhz kit used in the tests is CL14 which is more expensive and difficult to find, as per Steve himself. 3600mhz CL16 is more in supply and less expensive.
This is probably first time a dual channel platform is more efficient with quad channel array. :unsure:

Indeed they were with the previous gen., but for this gen. atleast they are giving the better BIOS earlier than others...
"MSI has gone one better and bundled AGESA v2 1.1.0.x firmware, which should deliver the 'best experience' for AMD 500 series chipsets paired with Ryzen 5000 processors "
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...il-January-2021-at-the-earliest.497827.0.html

On a side note, while the b550 can easily handle the new Ryzen processors, for this gen. I would go with the x570 chipset simply for its better power cycles, power limits and VRMs overall for sustained loads. At current price points, the b550 boards are almost equally expensive in spite of missing out the PCIe4 support.

Ah ok thanks guys so what do you guys think about this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZR3Rvf hoping it should all fit in that case.

Plus the 6800xt or 6900 when they're out
I already have the storage and power supply and pre ordered the 5600x

Some people may not like them but should not opine that their opinion is fact.
It's a potential point of failure that you spend more to get. There's nothing that makes the X570 platform a compelling buy for normal users aside from the prestige factor that comes with a high price tag.

The really painful thing about when the fan does fail, as it must (your board, as all X570's are, is relatively new so don't look for it to be a guiding example here), is it's not going to be easy to get a replacement for.

Last edited:

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
It's a potential point of failure that you spend more to get. There's nothing that makes the X570 platform a compelling by for normal users. It's got to be called for what it is.

The really painful thing about it is when it does fail, as it must (your board, as all X570's are, is relatively new so don't look for it to be a guiding example) it's not going to be easy to get a replacement for.
Ok I believe you then you've shown me the way with the rest of it what do you think about it now I've updated it https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9QJwcT and added 4x ram if it fits that motherboard that the others suggested

Last edited:
A fan is a simple thing to replace if required.
A case fan yes...they're bog standard things with easy access. But chipset fans aren't so standard or accessible. More like a GPU fan, although I think they are even less so. And add to that when one fails (or gets gummed up with dust/grime which is even more likely) it's a natural thing to be overlooked or flat out ignored. (OMG...who knew there's a little fan under those covers???) Just as GPU fans only too often are ignored, even though they're obvious, until it gives up trying and it's too late.

Last edited:
Ok I believe you then you've shown me the way with the rest of it what do you think about it now I've updated it https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9QJwcT and added 4x ram if it fits that motherboard that the others suggested
The Gaming Plus will be a good pair for a 5600 but if you ever did get the urge to move up to 5900 or 5950 the B550 Tomahawk will be an significant improvement. Since you were willing to consider the X570 Tomahawk price tag you might not be put off by the cost of the B550 variant which is still about $100USD cheaper.

A case fan yes...they're bog standard things with easy access. But chipset fans aren't so standard or accessible. More like a GPU fan, although I think they are even less so. And add to that when one fails (or gets gummed up with dust/grime which is even more likely) it's a natural thing to be overlooked or flat out ignored. (OMG...who knew there's a little fan under those covers???) Just as GPU fans only too often are ignored, even though they're obvious, until it gives up trying and it's too late.

Don’t make a mole hill into a mountain.

Don’t make a mole hill into a mountain.
I don't think I am. I just think X570 should be bought for what it's good at and not a reflex reaction to 'it's Zen3 so it must go on X570'. B550 boards are so extremely capable now there's no reason not to put even 5950X's on the right B550 and overclock 24/7 if that's what you want to do. While there are a lot of B550's you can do that on, there's also X570's I'd not want to run a 5950 on even in stock.

What X570 is good for is making lot of PCIe gen 4 lanes available for high bandwidth AIC's. There's a lot of people who need that.

harry_46

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
The Gaming Plus will be a good pair for a 5600 but if you ever did get the urge to move up to 5900 or 5950 the B550 Tomahawk will be an significant improvement. Since you were willing to consider the X570 Tomahawk price tag you might not be put off by the cost of the B550 variant which is still about $100USD cheaper.
Ok thanks mate well I think I've got it sorted with this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9QJwcT 4 sticks of ram to help out and the b550 since I am getting the 5600