WHats a Good Tablet to Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
i'm torn between getting either a PC or tablet. if i decide to get a tablet, can you guys recommend a good one to get?

I guess it depends on the size. Since you are looking for a tablet or a laptop I assume you are looking for something that is 10"+.

Personally, I am looking for a 7" tablet. Something just large enough so that I can easily whip it out in a crowded train so I can read/study. Currently looking at a Nexus 7. Since it is relatively inexpensive for a 32GB version. The only real downside is no storage expansion.

For a 10"+ tablet I would probably consider the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 due to it's ability to just simply write down notes. Or the Asus Transformer Infinity because of the detachable keyboard (which includes a battery and expansion slots).

^^^

The bad thing about the Blackberry Playbook is the limited ecosystem. That means a limited number of available apps. Blackberry OS does provide some support for Google apps, but apps must be designed to be compatible with Blackberry OS in mind. In my opinion, Blackberry will likely end up using a customized ("forked") version of Android similar to Amazon's Kindle Fire and Barnes & Nobles' Nook tablets. But for now Blackberry is more or less sticking to their own OS.

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Nexus 10 or Asus tf700. I have the nexus 10, I use for media mostly. Running a lot of game emulators also. The android games are pretty good also. If I need some productivity it does that also. It also sporting 2560x1600 resolution. Pretty nice and I feel my money was spent well.

ikaz

Distinguished
Hmm the one thing you didn't post is what you want to do with it ? I mean are you looking for a portal device that you will only be browsing the internet with and maybe watching some moves ? Or do you want to be able to play phone type games or "real" games (i.e. full blow x86 type games). Battery life an issue what about application support ?

magic_28

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I had considered buying a playbook. However, I noticed to use Blackberry device, you need to get a Blackberry ID and have to agree to the Blackberry ID Eula before you can actually use the Blackberry. The Blackberry ID has the following item in the agreement:
----------------------------
"4. Your Submission Of Content.

Other than as expressly provided in this Agreement or an Addendum thereto, this Agreement does not transfer any ownership of any information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags, or other materials or information (“Content”) that You submit or make available in connection with any BlackBerry ID Accessible Services (“Your Content”).

With respect to any of Your Content that you make available for inclusion on publicly accessible web sites or other publicly accessible aspects of the BlackBerry ID Accessible Services, You grant RIM a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, royalty-free and non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform, and publicly display Your Content as is reasonable in connection with the provision and management of any BlackBerry ID Accessible Services."
------------------------

Please correct me if I am wrong. Basically I think it says there is no transfer of ownership to the contents you put onto the web, but it asks you to grant RIM the right to use royalty-free perpetually your content that you put onto the web in whatever way it deems reasonable.

I don't know if this has the same implication as the recent Instagram Eula regarding photos posted on the web but I am having second thought of using Blackberry if I have to agree to the above in the Blackberry ID Eula. I don't know if other tablets has the same type of Eula that one has to agree to before one can use it. If they all do, then Blackberry playbook may not be a bad choice for the price they are offering now especially the 32GB ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.