Question What's a healthy temperature for GPU?

TeoTH

Commendable
May 3, 2019
I have a Zotac 1660 Ti Amp (ZT-T16610D-10M) of which settings have not been fiddled with. It runs at about 37C idle and 41C when I'm browsing the internet with chrome.

When in game, I limit the frame rate with vsync to 75Hz and usually tuning down the graphic settings a little to let it run at 50-65C depends on what game I play. The reason I do this is that I'm a little obsessive with temperatures and I don't play any competitive game, so I'd figure to not let the card run at full force (also because my monitor only support freesync and doesn't come with a DP port, so I can't use it on my Nvidia card).

Is this reasonable or am I worrying too much? What operating temperature is preffered for a card in the long run?

You are within SAFE temp limits. Nothing to worry here. Just make sure the GPU doesn't cross 80 C while gaming, but according to NVIDIA the max GPU TEMP is 95 C, after which the GPU will throttle down the clocks, as a safety measure.

But that doesn't mean, it's OK for the TEMP to rise, and hover around 85-90 C. Nope, just make a custom FAN profile, if you are really worried too much about temps. But those temp values which you have listed, are perfectly normal/safe.

Last edited:

TeoTH

Commendable
May 3, 2019
You seem to be fine! What are your ambient air temps and what sort of a case and case airflow are you working with? Better yet, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Ambient is probably around 25, my country is hot.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Asrock B450 Pro 4
Ram: HyperX Fury 3200MHz 8GB*2
SSD/HDD: XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 1TB
GPU: Zotac GTX 1660 Ti Amp
PSU: EVGA 600W1
Chassis: Tecware Nexus Evo (2 intake 1 exhaust)