What's a normal idle temp for a gpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedStorm

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
What's a normal idle temperature for a graphics card?
I have HIS Radeon HD 6850 (model H685FN1GD)

And the idle temperature is approximately ~40C
And right now (the only applications I have open are Mozilla Firefox, Windows Task Manager, Core Temp, and GPU Temp) and its ~45C

Are these normal temps, and are graphics cards usually hotter than processors? My processor (Intel Core i5-2500K, currently at stock speed with stock fan) idles at around 26-30C.
Sorry I'm a hardware noob, this is my first time building a computer (and I don't have a good sense of what's a good temperature, especially since my last computer, an Inspiron 1420, overheats to 85C when playing Minecraft. And idles at 60C)

Solution
after intensive reaserch and personal experiance i found out that idel temps really depends on several stuff most importnatly the ambiant temps as we all know room temp is 37 so any thing in that range 30-40 is normal idle temp (can be cosidered very good actually i idle at 29 due to the fact that its winter time in my country).

under load the new cards can live up to 110 degrees and still function but offcourse i wouldnt recmmond going that high any thing less than 80 and ur perfectly fine (lower is better)

100-110 ( ur fried ))

90-100 (ok)

80-90 (good)

70-80(verygood)

60-70(excellent)

less than 60 ur perfectly fine

tarekwm

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
after intensive reaserch and personal experiance i found out that idel temps really depends on several stuff most importnatly the ambiant temps as we all know room temp is 37 so any thing in that range 30-40 is normal idle temp (can be cosidered very good actually i idle at 29 due to the fact that its winter time in my country).

under load the new cards can live up to 110 degrees and still function but offcourse i wouldnt recmmond going that high any thing less than 80 and ur perfectly fine (lower is better)

100-110 ( ur fried ))

90-100 (ok)

80-90 (good)

70-80(verygood)

60-70(excellent)

less than 60 ur perfectly fine

Reactions: CraftWorks
Solution

your idle temp is still on acceptable range. check your case air flow. i live in hot climate country but i was able to keep my GTX460 around 35c on idle with proper air flow. and you should get after market cooler for your 2500k :). that chip is overclocking monster but you're going to need better cooler for overclocking. something like Coller Master Hyper 212+ should do fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS