[SOLVED] What's a top quality ups for my friend's system?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone. My friend wants to buy a ups and he found this one: https://www.skroutz.gr/s/6234081/APC-Back-UPS-1400VA-Schuko.html
Is this too much for his system? His specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5Ghz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850
CPU COOLER: H80iGT
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
RAM: TeamGroup 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1600
He just wants a ups to hold his pc open for 5-10 minutes. This ups he found is a bit overpriced, and I'm pretty sure it's an overkill for his pc. But I want to know some experts' opinion. Price is an issue btw, don't recommend something that costs 200 euros. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Psu size has nothing to do with anything. Load values is everything. You always see idiots running 700w psus and a gtx750ti on a 74w i5 with a total running load of @ 200w.

That 200w is only part of the equation. The other part being the Ah of the battery/s.

Watts = VoltAmps * power factor, or conversely VA = W/PF.

So if the load is 200w and the psu has a power factor of 0.9, you'd need a ups capable of 222 VA.

With high end equipment, where loads easily approach 500w, and a 0.9PF psu, you'd need a 600VA ups minimum.

But none of that affects runtime, that's all on the Amp hours of the battery/s. And the sinewave output. Pure sinewave outputs take massive amounts of battery power to get that output, so run times are extremely...

popatim

Titan
APC is usually a good brand and 2.4 minutes of run time at full load (700w) is plenty of time to shut the system down.
Looking at the runtime graph for it, I'm guessing he will have 7 minutes (while the batteries are still new), meeting their 5 min requirement.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the ups has to provide enough watts to let the person turn the pc off securely in case of a power loss, or keep the pc on if the power comes and goes thanks to external powerline problems or a accidental disconenction of the ups from the wall

the parts you mention shouldn't use 500 watts under full load, so any psu with 600 wats or more is good enough, but you could do well with a 500 watts ups proably, because those parts only reach 500 watts when overclocked everything and under full lod on a game that loads cpu and gpu fully

under full load a good psu should give more than 5 minutes of electricity to the devices connected, sometimes even more

if your friend can buy a 750 watts psu is even better, more time and usually more quality when talking about fast response against power outages, i always recomend apc, cdp, but some elcheapo brands ends up being decent enough

remember that most of these units have a big 12v battery inside, usually those batteries die after 2 years, so the battery can be changed and is not necesary to buy another ups

popatim

Titan
Watts is how much of a load the UPS can handle. Watts has nothing to do with how long it will run when on battery.
Run Time charts will tell you how long it will run under various loads (watts).

PSU's die when there is no electricity. Assuming you meant UPS, watts makes no difference in runtime. Only the battery size and the load on it do. Its probable that the 750w version uses the exact same battery as does the 600w version.

You'd be surprised at how small some of these batteries are and yes they usually are replaceable.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
your comment tells me you never replaced such battery

if you buy a small ups, for example, a 350 watts ups, and you put a load higher than 3500 watts, the ups will trigger a alarm and and will shut down itself and cut power to all is connected to it

if the psu is bigger than the load provided, shuldn't lass less, your comment seems to imply it is the case

what one wants is to have more time to turn the pc off safely

devices consuming less watts, less amps and less volts will make the ups charge last longer, all depends on what you are doing at the moment with the pc

downvoting a comment and replying against a answer doesn't help the original poster, if you think you can answer better, do it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu size has nothing to do with anything. Load values is everything. You always see idiots running 700w psus and a gtx750ti on a 74w i5 with a total running load of @ 200w.

That 200w is only part of the equation. The other part being the Ah of the battery/s.

Watts = VoltAmps * power factor, or conversely VA = W/PF.

So if the load is 200w and the psu has a power factor of 0.9, you'd need a ups capable of 222 VA.

With high end equipment, where loads easily approach 500w, and a 0.9PF psu, you'd need a 600VA ups minimum.

But none of that affects runtime, that's all on the Amp hours of the battery/s. And the sinewave output. Pure sinewave outputs take massive amounts of battery power to get that output, so run times are extremely short, a matter of less than 15 minutes at partial loads, maybe 2 minutes at full load. Whereas simulated or modified or square wave outputs take far less power, so can see upto an hour on partial load or 15 minutes at full load.

I have a Minuteman Pro 700E, runs a Evga 550 G2, has a 12v 11Ah battery, lasts 8.9 minutes at full load, 22.2 minutes at ½ load. Simulated step wave. Considering my pc load is @ 400w, that equates to @ 15 minutes of gaming.

The Pro 700i has identical features, except uses a 7.2Ah battery, so has 5.9 minutes at full load and 15.4 minutes at ½ load.

As for Op, using a 1400VA ups isn't an issue, what will be is the output wave, whether it's modified step or pure, and the runtimes. If you figure that even with that massive overkill psu, he's only pushing @ 350w gaming heavy, so that's going to be less than half load outputs of the ups. Full load is 2.4 minutes, ½ load is 11.2 minutes, so he should be looking at @ 13 minutes ± at his gaming levels. It too uses a 7.2Ah battery.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS