[SOLVED] What's all the hype about ryzens cpu?

skies91

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
My info about cpus is 10 years old, I remember when i7 920 was the holy grail of cpus. Any way I'm about to build a new gaming pc and have heard that amd overtook intel with there ryzens cpus. What the hell is going on? What happened? Any way I may build or not build. for now I'm just waiting for Nvidia Ampere gpus to come out then I will decide to build or wait for DDR5 generation to come out.

Solution
Some 15 years ago, AMD made the fastest gaming processor, the FX57.
It was a single core monster, running at a clock of 2.8. It had a passmark rating of 517.
It beat the intel processors available at the time.
At the time games and apps were coded in a single threaded manner.
Such coding is much simpler.
And many apps were hard to break down into separate tasks.

Then, dual and quad cores became prevalent and Intel came back.
It has been a back and forth competition since then.
AMD made chips with more cores, but the cores were not as fast as intel's.

Currently, amd performance per clock is comparable to intel.
amd ryzen offered more cores/threads than intel for a comparable price.
That is very effective for users who can run many...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My info about cpus is 10 years old, I remember when i7 920 was the holy grail of cpus. Any way I'm about to build a new gaming pc and have heard that amd overtook intel with there ryzens cpus. What the hell is going on? What happened? Any way I may build or not build. for now I'm just waiting for Nvidia Ampere gpus to come out then I will decide to build or wait for DDR5 generation to come out.

Hi @skies91

Life is too short to wait my friend. Have fun now.

AMD has come a very long ways since their K6. A "comeback Kid" if ever there was one. Ryzens are just good, fast processors that cost less than Intels. For raw power they are not the fastest (though they are getting VERY close indeed) That's not to say Intel CPU's are bad, because they aren't. It's just that Dollar for Dollar they simply offer better performance vs Intel.

Then again I've been Team Red since, well forever and so my opinions are clouded as a result. :) In other words, don't listen to me.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I agree with the others. BUT the prime fact Ryzens have become many 1080p builder's favourite (those who can afford higher resolution, usually can afford overclocked intels), is because of ryzen 5 3600(X). The 3600 comes at almost two third the the price of the 10600 while the performance is almost identical. And AMD doesn't require you to buy expensive mobos to support high RAM frequencies and other fancy features. AND their stock coolers are way better than intels.

And generally, similar performing Ryzens are quite cheaper than intels.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
RANT

What really weirds me out is a bunch of 30+ year old dads trying to crunch as much FPS out of their games. But in reality, high-end Ryzen and Intel chips generates the same amount of FPS -- well Intel generates like 4 to 6 more FPS and that's it.

Gaming wise, all you need is skill and understanding of the game. 5 more FPS will not make you a pro or good at the game. Skills does.

Don't get me wrong, I was an Intel fan but Ryzen chips are superior NOW. I can watch a 1080p stream and watch a 4K YouTube video in the same time with my 3950X without dropping frames on Siege, WoW, Dota, GW2, etc. Plus people with high end gaming rigs have GSync for crying out loud. Everything is buttery smooth! So why not Ryzen?!

Especially that I work from home now, VMWare and WoW can run in the same time and only uses 45% CPU power. Playing Classic while my company pays me to sit around and respond to different department's emails and fix Barbara's sales goal and certification spreadsheets.

So why buy a crappy Volkswagen that's expensive and a pain to maintain when you can get a Lexus for the same price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
What really weirds me out is a bunch of 30+ year old dads trying to crunch as much FPS out of their games.

This made me LOL. :)

I'm a 46 y/o dad who until I got my 2700x in 2018 for my birthday, used inferior and often vastly outdated tech to feed my gaming addiction. Because I'm a 46 y/o dad, my priorities are my family & not having a new fancy PC has always been the norm. Up until my 2700X, I gamed on an original 11 y/o 1090T system. My great skill (or rather lack thereof) of any game I played heavily relied on my FPS. You could be better than GOD at gaming, but if your system does not have the horsepower to push out the frames, after a point skill becomes moot. ( For YEARS I played BF42 & BF2 on a 56K. A fair amount of skill was required I'll admit )

Game on brothers & sisters & those in between.

This made me LOL. :)

I'm a 46 y/o dad who until I got my 2700x in 2018 for my birthday, used inferior and often vastly outdated tech to feed my gaming addiction. Because I'm a 46 y/o dad, my priorities are my family & not having a new fancy PC has always been the norm. Up until my 2700X, I gamed on an original 11 y/o 1090T system. My great skill (or rather lack thereof) of any game I played heavily relied on my FPS. You could be better than GOD at gaming, but if your system does not have the horsepower to push out the frames, after a point skill becomes moot. ( For YEARS I played BF42 & BF2 on a 56K. A fair amount of skill was required I'll admit )

Game on brothers & sisters & those in between.

I could almost have written that statement myself, although I actually have a few years on you ;-)

There are also us, 70+ grandfathers that don't mind playing a game or two every now or than. Also have to contend with grandchildren when they come and they are much more demanding with games than me.
Watching them play and insisting on insane resolutions and FPS, 144Hz+ monitors, I have serious doubts that anybody notices beautiful graphics and need lightning speeds while chasing bad guys or going thru tight turns i driving games.
Just like in real life when you drive fast for instance or is presented with immediate threat, peripheral vision gets smaller and you notice things only at center of vision.
Some of us "old guys" like playing games just to catch up with "ye olde times" when we either didn't have computers to play games or had too little time for that.
There was that great general that first thing he did when he retired is to go to beach and play in sand. When they asked him why he said: "My whole life I worked to become this and didn't have time for playing, now I can do whatever the hell I want to".

Reactions: Phaaze88 and King_V
D

Deleted member 2720853

Never buy a CPU only for gaming. You are giving up 10-20% performance decreases in everything else for a 5-10% (and that's being optimistic) boost in games when you buy an Intel CPU.

What really weirds me out is a bunch of 30+ year old dads trying to crunch as much FPS out of their games.

Good one...I'm in a gaming clan that's youngest member is in his 40's...and we routinely claim the win in CoD hardcore multiplayer...been doing it for years.

Gaming wise, all you need is skill and understanding of the game. 5 more FPS will not make you a pro or good at the game. Skills does.

Not so much...in fact there's a very good reason pro gamers use only the fastest cpus and gpus combined with 240hz monitors...the hardware gives a very real edge in todays games. Linus recently did a video with a hand full of pro gamers using the latest hardware vs last gen and the edge was easily measurable.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Not so much...in fact there's a very good reason pro gamers use only the fastest cpus and gpus combined with 240hz monitors...the hardware gives a very real edge in todays games. Linus recently did a video with a hand full of pro gamers using the latest hardware vs last gen and the edge was easily measurable.
That being said, the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz is minimal, even for some of the best players in the world. There is a degree of placebo effect involved.

Some 15 years ago, AMD made the fastest gaming processor, the FX57.
It was a single core monster, running at a clock of 2.8. It had a passmark rating of 517.
It beat the intel processors available at the time.
At the time games and apps were coded in a single threaded manner.
Such coding is much simpler.
And many apps were hard to break down into separate tasks.

Then, dual and quad cores became prevalent and Intel came back.
It has been a back and forth competition since then.
AMD made chips with more cores, but the cores were not as fast as intel's.

Currently, amd performance per clock is comparable to intel.
amd ryzen offered more cores/threads than intel for a comparable price.
That is very effective for users who can run many instances of an app, or who run games that can take advantage of many threads. Multiplayer games for one example.
Ryzen offers overclocking across the product line.
But, ryzen does not overclock well since the processors are binned.

Today, intel offers higher maximum clocks which is beneficial to most games.
The reality is that once you spend about $250 on a modern processor, you will game very well.
You can buy a i5-10600K or ryzen 3600x in that price range.
Intel is currently getting a price premium from early adopters.
They have 12 threads which is more than enough for the general gamer.
Most games can not make effective use of more than 4-6 threads.
You can see the importance of single thread performance on multithreaded apps
By looking at Amdahl's theorem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law#/media/File:AmdahlsLaw.svg

The passmark ratings of these processors is in the range of 13000 and single thread 2600.
Quite a change from the $1000 FX57@517.
FWIW, for the gamer, here is a review of the i5-10600K:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review

Intel has been hurt by the success of ryzen.
They are not about to lose that market.
In the works is a new architecture that will improve the performance per clock.
It will show up in mobile processors imminently.
Desktop processors may be next year,

What to do now??
If you, the OP has a need now, go ahead and buy now.
If you wait for the next thing, you will wait forever.
If you will be gaming, pay attention to the graphics card.
Budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card for balanced gaming.

Nvidia is supposed to launch a new generation of 3000 series cards imminently.
Likely, these will start at the high end, exceeding anything we have seen today.
Expect the best cards to be VERY expensive, and will command an early adopter price premium.
Availability will be an issue.
If you are going to buy a graphics card now, look at an EVGA card. They have a free 90 day upgrade option if you should
want to trade it in for something stronger.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Yes, that video. With a handful of gamers. A truly scientific study with a generous sample size. /s

No, the human eye can't distinguish those 240fps speeds, and the human body can't react fast enough even if the brain could receive and process the information from the eye.

Show me an actual, scientific study where people can be put in front of the same screen, with the same game, with the refresh rate variously changed (say miniumum of 100), and where they can CONSISTENTLY tell you what refresh rate they're playing at, then there would be evidence. Many people, with the majority being able to reliably tell the difference.

Otherwise, it's crap. But it sells higher refresh, pricier monitors, and it sells high end video cards. And it convinces people that they can brag about their superhuman abilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Good one...I'm in a gaming clan that's youngest member is in his 40's...and we routinely claim the win in CoD hardcore multiplayer...been doing it for years.

Ahh. So won't you say your clan have the skills and understanding of the game necessary to win? If you truly have what it takes, you can easily win against an average kid with a 240hz and you on a 60hz.

There's a lot of people spending thousands of dollars on a rig because they think the more FPS the better their chances to win. FALSE. Most of them ends up in the same rank/ELO/MMR that they use to be -- until buyer's remorse kicks them in the ass.

And that video wasn't recent bro. I watched it the moment it came out, it's been ages. And don't talk about "real edge". Those pros have been fragging since CRT monitors. Skills. Yes, hardware can help but it's not even half of it.

Reactions: King_V