What's an 'Enthusiast Grade' GPU?

d_A_e

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I see this thrown around everywhere! Is it anything special... or? Probably a newbie question but I'm still curious...

Solution
Its generally a category.
The only real distinction is with workstation cards, as those are vastly different in use that "gaming" cards.
I typically break it down into 4 levels (Basic:Usually the same as an iGPU. Entry Level: Cheap cards, easy upgrades (ie 750Ti). Mainstream: Good enough to run just about anything, not the best for maxed out or higher resolutions. Flagship: Best of the best)

I never really use the term Enthusiast Grade, but I would consider it mainstream or flagship levels of performance.
Its generally a category.
The only real distinction is with workstation cards, as those are vastly different in use that "gaming" cards.
I typically break it down into 4 levels (Basic:Usually the same as an iGPU. Entry Level: Cheap cards, easy upgrades (ie 750Ti). Mainstream: Good enough to run just about anything, not the best for maxed out or higher resolutions. Flagship: Best of the best)

I never really use the term Enthusiast Grade, but I would consider it mainstream or flagship levels of performance.

Solution

d_A_e

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Hey, thanks! :)

I thought 'enthusiast' when used with videocards meant the same as 'mainstream'. On the low end you have entry level or budget cards. These are gaming cards, not integrated graphics equivalents which is a whole separate thing. Above the entry level you have enthusiast level. These are cards that get 60fps in contemporary games at high settings in the current standard resolution. Above that you have the top of the line, flagship, cards. Price is no object, or these are for ultra at 1440 or 4k type of setups.

Enthusiast then means you aren't trying to save a buck but you're not made of money either.

Enthusiast computing

[" Enthusiast computing refers to a sub-culture of personal computer users who focus on extremely high-end computers. Manufacturers of performance-oriented parts typically include an enthusiast model in their offerings."]

I suppose it could refer to both high-end components as well as specific models of mainstream/performance level components.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You should focus on whether or not a GPU meets your needs and your budget not on whether a GPU fits some arbitrary adjective.

And also not bumping two-year-old threads for no reason.