[SOLVED] Whats best? 1 SSD for Windows and 2nd HDD for games

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Im running standard setup. 128gb SSD for windows + 1 TB HDD for games. Im playing Apex and it's installed in HDD. I shifted it to SSD hoping improvement in load time and FPS. But instead i 'felt' no improvement rather lower fps. Hence my question. Whats best?
  1. Running Windows from primary SSD and games from 2ndary HDD?
  2. Running Windows and games from same primary SSD? (Which is what i did but felt nothing)
  3. Running Win from primary HDD and games from 2ndary SSD?
  4. Running Win from primary SSD and games from 2ndary SSD?

Obviously last scenario is ideal but least feasible. But id like to know whats best for my Current setup.

My pc specs:-
Xeon x3440 with h55
8GB ram and 750tx corsair psu
Windows 10
120GB SSD for windows, 1 TB HDD for games

Solution
Im running standard setup. 128gb SSD for windows + 1 TB HDD for games. Im playing Apex and it's installed in HDD. I shifted it to SSD hoping improvement in load time and FPS. But instead i 'felt' no improvement rather lower fps. Hence my question. Whats best?
  2. Running Windows and games from same primary SSD? (Which is what i did but felt nothing)
Obviously last scenario is ideal but least feasible. But id like to know whats best for my Current setup.

Xeon x3440 with h55
Windows 10
120GB SSD for...
I think that the best setup is to run Windows and all applications from the SSD......and use the HDD for backups and data files only.

Windows and your programs and games will run faster this way than from the HDD.

I'm not sure why your one program didn't unless it's still somehow linked to the HDD.

THartmann9374

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017

Xeon x3440 with h55
Windows 10
120GB SSD for windows, 1 TB HDD for games

It depends on what kind of HDD you have (model and RPM). If it is 7200 RPM, then you can store games on that HDD. I have WD Black HDD (7200 RPM) which I stored majority of my games. I think 128 GB SSD is too small. You should get at least 500 GB SSD if you want some games on it. SSD is a must for Windows, obviously.

Solution