What's better? Extra speakers or extra soundcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chermesh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
Hi,
I would like to connect my Lenovo M55e desktop to a home cinema system. Whenever I connect my pc (WinXP Pro (SP3)) to the home cinema system, I loose my internal audio, which a common hardware feature.
I looked for a solution, and was offered the following two options:
1. Add an extra sound card, preferrably and external USB card. Connect the home cinema system to the external card and keep both outlets active.
2. Plugin a splitter, connect one extension to a set of loudspeakers and the other, to the home cinema system.

Which option (or any other method) will produce sound of better quality and volume?
If the first is better, could you suggest a card, if possible costing 50$ or less.

Ran

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
A spliter is the easiest and least expensive solution but not the best.

Add in crd is better.

Internal means less wirrings and it's hidden.

USB card means you can use it even on laptops.

If you think you'll be switching between PC (that if you have and use more than one computer) then USB is better. If not, then an internal card is better.

Assuming that you don't need the PC speakers to play at the same time as the cinema system use the digital audio out to the cinema so you can get digital surround sound. I think you can switch between the analog and digital outputs in the software controlling the card.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I don't get what you mean, and why two internal cards? unless you're thinking about pro card then...

You don't need two internal card to use Analog and Digital at the same time. Unfortunately I don't know a soundcard that does analog and didgital at the same time under $100 mark.

The Auzentech Prelude and the ASUS Xonar D2 and D2X can do it. But call the Auzentech and Asus to be sure it does analog and didgital output simultaneously, and ask other products they have that can do the same.

chermesh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
Rexter, Since I have an onboard soundcard, even if I adopt your idea, the result is adding a second sound card. And if so, since a second card is added, there's no need for a card which does analog and didgital at the same time.
Am I wrong?

chermesh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005

Since my computer is in another room, I do need the PC speaker to make sure everything is running fine. Still, my problem stems from a hardware feature, the fact that plugging the home cinema cable cuts my internal system sound altogether. Under these circumstances, no software can rotate between analog (speaker) and digital (home cinema).

Ran

chermesh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005

I got a suggestion to add the following card: Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB 5.1 Channel Sound Card for Notebooks W/ Digital Out (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12204&vpn=TBS-1120&manufacture=TURTLE BEACH SYSTEMS .
What do you think? Will it be a sound option?

Ran

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Sorry for the confusion, I meant Auzentech Prelude or the ASUS Xonar D2 or D2X can do it.

I never try Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB 5.1 so I can't comment on that.

Do you use stereo or 5.1 to connect your PC to your Entertaiment System?

Status
Not open for further replies.