[SOLVED] Whats better for mining 6 vega 56s or one vega 7

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
So I am playing with the idea of possibly putting together a mining rig with mostly used parts, and I have been doing a little bit of research into the you side of things. Im wondering if 4 vega 56s would offer more power than one vega 7 in the first place, as well as if those vega 56s would have any chance at all of staying within striking distance of the vega 7s running cost. Id be doing a fair bit of folding for folding@home with this rig, and then I'd probably throw on top some more profitable mining operations, but since the only.mining I've ever done is for folding@home and I only started that yesterday I don't know much about this at all.

Solution
it's all about the work done. i doubt one vega 7 can do the same work as 4 vega 56's.

it'll pull more power for sure but the 4 cards will do more than the single newer card for sure. do the homework though and look for tips for the specific hardware and software combo you wish to use. most of the time there are how to's that lay out settings and ways to minimize power usage while maximizing the work done. not done this myself in many years but i do know those who take it seriously have lots of stuff out there to help configure what you got to work with :)

i'm not saying you can turn a big profit with the right settings, but you can at least minimize your costs while tinkering with the mining rig here and there.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
To my knowledge mining coins for profit is pretty much dead for the private person. The gains are low and the energy costs make it really ethically questionable in regards to the environment.
Folding@home on the other hand provides computer ressources to protein folding simulations that benefit medical research.

If you want to do it for science go for it, but plz dont waste lots of energy to gain 50 bucks a month.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Fair point. I was only kind of playing with the idea as I don't have 1 to 2 thousand dollars lying around for a second rig just for mining. If I find some really great deals on used parts I might throw something together for Folding@Home, but besides that, I will probably just stick with the PC I have, and only use that for protein folding/gaming.

Unless my family gets solar panels so I don't have to worry about electricity. Then, I might rethink this.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's all about the work done. i doubt one vega 7 can do the same work as 4 vega 56's.

it'll pull more power for sure but the 4 cards will do more than the single newer card for sure. do the homework though and look for tips for the specific hardware and software combo you wish to use. most of the time there are how to's that lay out settings and ways to minimize power usage while maximizing the work done. not done this myself in many years but i do know those who take it seriously have lots of stuff out there to help configure what you got to work with :)

i'm not saying you can turn a big profit with the right settings, but you can at least minimize your costs while tinkering with the mining rig here and there.

Solution