What's broken? Power Supply, HDD, CPU, Motherboard... something else?

May 20, 2018
So a couple weeks ago I was updating my video card driver and in the process of rebooting the monitor said "out of range." After a few attempted restarts I was getting no display at all. Not even the BIOS.

I did a clear CMOS and I was able to see the boot up and the windows loading screen and then it would drop the display signal.

I took out my sound card, USB expansion card, and my video card. I've been connecting via the motherboard onboard video.

Nothing I did with Windows Troubleshooting solved my problem. I caved in and reformatted and reinstalled windows. Everything was going peachy. Windows updates were downloading and I went in the other room for a few minutes and came back to a blank screen. I rebooted and had similar issues to before.

I decided to reformat again. Again after 20 minutes or so the same issue struck.

It almost seemed this time like the screen went into hibernation and wouldn't come out as I was sitting there letting things download. I reformatted again and disabled the power saver that shuts down the display. This time i was browsing PC Partpicker and had only let the system sit idle downloading something for a minute or two when the signal cut out again.

The i5 3570K was previously overclocked to 4.5ghz. It is at stock since I cleared CMOS.

The motherboard is an ASRock z77 extreme motherboard.

There are 16GB of Kingston RAM installed.

The SSD is an older Samsung 120gb SSD.

Powersupply is 2 year old Corsair 750W modular Powersupply.

Given that everything runs fine through a system install I have a hard time believing the power supply is the fault. Temperatures in the room aren't causing an overheating problem either. I have the sides off my case and it is about 63 F ambient in the room.

With that said I feel like it could be anything i have absolutely no idea what to make of it. I would hate to do a partial rebuild of a motherboard/cpu/ram/ssd and find out the issue was my power supply. I don't have a good way to test the power supply though.

Any thoughts and speculation with reasoning for your speculation is welcome and appreciated.

May 20, 2018

I've tested that. It isn't the display. After a fresh install and 20 minutes of working every reboot it cuts out immediately after the windows loading screen.