Question What's causing BSODs on my PC ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GeneralMercer

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
My system is almost 3 years old.Its having the same blue screen errors like "memory exception" or "kernel data inpage....."etc.My Motherboard has 2 slots having 8gb sticks each of ram each.Thought it was a Ram problem so I played on first slot two times(each with different stick),both times it crashed.Now I've put one of the two Ram sticks,only in 2nd slot and no error but game is lagging (horizonZeroD).Does that mean the first ram slot is faulty?I really hope it isn't as it was the same case in my previous setup(changed all parts for existing setup ofcourse)where both ram slots were faulty.What are the chances both times its the same problem(Ram slot)?To rule out other things I'm thinking of formatting but then I will have to install all drivers and pirated windows and check, and then again format and install a legit one.What to do???(are ram slots really that easy to falter?does it happen to everyone?)

GeneralMercer

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
they already run chkdsk - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/bad-sectors-in-c-drive.3774627/#post-22776548

one thing you can try is recreate page file
  1. go to settings/system/about
  2. click advanced system settings
  3. under performance, click settings
  4. choose advanced tab
  5. under virtual memory, choose change...
  6. untick Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
  7. this will allow you to then choose No paging file and click set.
  8. click ok and apply.
  9. restart PC and retrace all those steps again until you reach Automatically manage paging file size for all drives which you should tick and ok again.
that recreates page file and might avoid errors.
Getting a cheap used Samsung ssd showing zero power on hours. Can crystaldisk show wrong hours ?(used samsung PM9A1 OEM ssd or new crucial p2 ssd)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Crystalsidkinfo just reads the SMART info off the drive, its just repeating what drive is telling it.

If drive says that, it should be right. Its always possible someone reprogrammed the controller chip but I don't know odds of that happening with Samsung drives. You probably fine.
if its not been on, its possibly the least risky 2nd hand drive.

I seen Crucial drives fail, so I lean towards Samsung. Shame you can't run their ssd software on that drive.

I thought I replied to the install question. It might. But only if cause is a driver.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In storage, a pagefile is a reserved portion of a hard disk that is used as an extension of random access memory (RAM) for data in RAM that hasn't been used recently.

So when gaming, anything that's not stay-resident and isn't being used by the game as such can be written to pagefile. That includes any stuff for Antivirus, Adobe, or half a hundred programs you may have in startup which get put on hold when gaming. But many of those programs don't follow the 'I'm gaming, put it on hold' rules and try and run checks anyway.

Run a CMD with Admin, sfc /scannow to rule out any corruption of system files, that includes pagefile.sys and himem.sys

Colif

Win 11 Master
op didn't realise the BSOD question was related to storage, so I can understand why he had two (I see it was more than 2).

odd windows sees 12kb when this scan shows way more
https://imgbb.com/HGVHBgZ

also, how do you have 6gb of ram?
CPU- i5 9400f
GPU-gtx 1060 3gb
motherboard- asus prime h310m
RAM-Crucial Basics 6gb DDR4 2666Mhz
PSU-ANTEC vp450
OS- Windows 10 Pro (Build 19041.867)

CPU doesn't have igpu so thats not reason

Last edited: