Question What's causing FPS drops on my PC ?

Jul 28, 2020
So, basically i have some really odd fps drops from like 160 to 70, sometimes a little lower, in other games this happens but only in like the first match, after that in games like cs go it goes to a clean 240 fps with no fps drops, only in fortnite, my gpu clock is set to 1240mhz it is a rx 580 and a ryzen 5 1600 as my processor, any ideas why is this suddenly happening on my pc? its like in most games, but not for too long, only fortnite that is really kind of bad, i dont care toooo much but its really annoying if someone has any ideas let me know

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
monitor GPU and CPU temps with the software "HWmonitor"

close all apps before launching the game.

did you installed the lastest AMD drivers, both for GPU and chipset ?

on windows, do you use the "ryzen balanced"power plan ?

Jul 28, 2020

I use balanced ryzen plan, i have the latest cpu drivers, not the latest gpu because it says that is not recommended but i can try it

Jul 28, 2020

quick update, i installed the latest drivers for my gpu, nothing the same and sometimes even worst but overall the same, my temps are fine btw, fps drops are still there, and just saying that 60fps gaming is pretty stable for now, as i can remeber but the problem is for games like fortnite, fps drops all the time, but cs go its like 300fps stable, and now i even got some fps drops in my windows sometimes its really really weird because before all this the pc was just fine, i didnt touch anything at all didnt install anything, updates anything it just started droping fps and i dont know why

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020
hey guys! i found new info! so i used msi to check my pc information etc, and i found a couple of things! first of, the gpu usage is reeeeeally unstable it goes from 100%-85%-95% to 0%-5% but the weird thing is that in that moment the fps dont drop, idkw, but however there is one thing that always happens is that when the fps drop the mhz (gpu clock, frequency) also drop OR goes up a little bit, any ideas? (also temps are really good dont worry about that)

Jan 23, 2021
What sort of games do you play that are similar in terms of graphics requirements. Do you only play Fortnite and CS:GO? If you play other games that could be more GPU intensive do you get the same sort of results, i.e. do you still get FPS drops / unstable GPU% ? As it could be something related to just fortnite itself or it could be more hardware related issues.

Jul 28, 2020
hey! i tried on rise of the tomb raider! everything on ultra, no fps drops :p, just like i was looking at a place and 60fps but i looked at other places with more (demand) and it goes to 45 fps, but no fps drops, gpu usage at 100% but droped at min to like 45% nothing below that, but wait, let me try other games! just like rust! etc, thanks :)

Jul 28, 2020
quick update! i played bayonneta and some more csgo! csgo had some serious drops ! ( not all the time, once in 2 min, and it was not that bad) but the weird thing i go to bayonetta and the fps are really stable BUT the gpu usage is going crazy! 99% to 0% for a long time, and guess what? no fps drops , i dont understand this at all! but one thing i can say is that the mhz on the gpu is really stable, and in csgo or fortnite it is not, so maybe is that the problem? the frequency? i dont see another problem! maybe change thermal paste?

Jan 5, 2021
I use a 2070 and as CPU 2600x and a 3600xt. I have the Drops in Every game, Forza Horizon 4, GTA V, BeanNg, Cyberpunk and DOOM 2016. Cyberpunk is the only game where the CPU usage goes above 30%. CPU and GPU temperature dont get above 70c
In BeamNg I caped the FPS at 85 in one scene I "only" got 71, this was for more then a few seconds
  • GPU: Temp 61c, load 56%
  • CPU: Temp 66c, load 31%, clock 4400MHz
  • RAM: 9GB of 16GB
sometimes the FPS drop shortly, in afterburner it looks like a really small long spice.