What's causing my black screen?

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Can anyone help me to pinpoint the cause of my recurring blackscreen?I'm leaning toward my graphics card (1080ti) being broken.

When my monitor is plugged into the gpu, the screen remains black and nothing shows when switching on the computer, all the fans move and lights come on, but screen remains blank, sometimes it initially boots but then black screens within 10 minutes. It even black screened from within bios once.

When plugged into the mother board it always boots, but still occasionally black screens after around an hour.

I've replaced the psu, so I know that's not the problem. Nothing is overheating so that's not it. I don't think it's a graphics driver issue because I did manage to do a clean install of my nvidia graphics driver (I think, I ticked the clean install option in the installer after choosing custom) I think the ssd Windows is on is ok, It's smart data says it is anyway. I also tried to update my uefi bios, by choosing the online update option from within bios, but I'm not sure if it updated. It said it turned on the online setting and restarted, but said the bios is already up to date. It's also not a faulty outlet, HDMI cable or monitor, already checked.

Is there anything else I can check before attempting to rma my gpu?

HK_Gail

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
My system:
Windows 10 Fall creators update on Crucial SSD
2 other HDDs for files and backups
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero
CPU: i5 7600k with Corsair Hydro H100i v2 cooler
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID GAMING
PSU: Corsair AX860i
RAM: 2 x 8gb