Question What's causing my desktop background to go black (override) and refresh rate lowered and capped?

Apr 16, 2022
I have an older PSU, but it's corsair.. about 5 years old.

My 1060 graphics card fried so I bought a new one, but it's already done this several times.

I did an OCCT PSU test and it managed to pass for about a 28m long test, but I'm still getting crashes on skyrim with a lot of mods and it just happens also seemingly randomly.

The PSU test managed to keep the GPU at its projected max wattage the entire time without crashing.. the card initially had the issue without drivers and went away for a bit after installing them so I figured it was just that at first..

Could it be the power supply or should I probably go send the GPU back? I've noticed the gameplay can be kind of stuttery when it renders a lot of detail on the screen, but it could just be an old version of windows giving it issues.

My motherboard and CPU have been well cooled and are only about 3 years old, so I don't think it'd be another component but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 16, 2022
Hi. I have a i5-8600k. 2 sticks of 8gb DDR4 2666 ram (both 3 years old), a corsair cx550m powersupply about 5 years old. an MSI z370 A-Pro board (3 years old) and a GTX 3060 brand new. Windows 10 is my OS.