Question What's causing my hard drive to make this noise and what can I do? It's only a few months old

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If there's sound here, I'm certainly not hearing it. Not that I can't hear the hard drive sound; I don't hear any sound at this link, nor is the volume button present as is normally the case when there is sound.

In any case, there's not much you can do about a sound if the sound is internal; hard drives are not user serviceable. Assuming this isn't something that can't be solved by tightening it to a hard drive cage or a small wedge, the options are to either ignore it, stop using it, or try to RMA it.

If it's the sound of a failing drive -- drives can fail at any time -- the only thing you can really do is double-check that the backups that you should always be maintaining are properly intact.

NathanWilker

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2013
If there's sound here, I'm certainly not hearing it. Not that I can't hear the hard drive sound; I don't hear any sound at this link, nor is the volume button present as is normally the case when there is sound.

In any case, there's not much you can do about a sound if the sound is internal; hard drives are not user serviceable. Assuming this isn't something that can't be solved by tightening it to a hard drive cage or a small wedge, the options are to either ignore it, stop using it, or try to RMA it.

If it's the sound of a failing drive -- drives can fail at any time -- the only thing you can really do is double-check that the backups that you should always be maintaining are properly intact.

I just resubmitted the video link it should have sound now. Yea I agree its just disappointing that its already making noise after only a couple months. I'll have to go on Seagates website and see if its worth RMAing. Otherwise I guess I'm just stuck with it.