Question What's causing my PC to lag ?

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
When watching a video file on my tv and on my desktop monitor from my pc at the same time they both start to lag or if I'm on Facebook while watching a videoclip on tv . Is it the cpu or what? I check task manager and gpu performance is always in the high 90's to 100% when this is going on.

Intel i5-12400
16gb DDR4 RAM
HDMI to a 4k TV
DP to a 4k monitor

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU: Intel Core I5-12400
Motherboard: MSI760-P Wifi
Ram:16GB
SSD/HDD:500GB SSD 6TB HDD
GPU:N/A
PSU:EVGA 750 Gold
Chassis:???
Monitor: LG 4k
Thanks for the heads up.
TV:Sony A80J 77"

Feb 16, 2023
Thanks for the heads up.
TV:Sony A80J 77"
try to stop the video being played, and see if the gpu utilization percentage going down.

probably your gpu is just being used for the video decoding or video playback.

online video playback, like youtube will utilize "video decode" on task manager, gpu section.

but if you are playing with offline video player, the player sometime utilize the 3D instead, if you check at task manager, GPU.

since you are using integrated graphic card, and intergrated graphic card performance are pretty weak.
i think it is normal if gpu utilization getting high during high resolution video playback.

and browser also use some of your gpu when you are crolling through pages.
did you open facebook on a browser?

this is just my guessing.
maybe intergrated gpu are just not strong enough to handle two 4k display while doing multitasking, 1 display doing video playback, 1 display scrolling on a facebook.

correct me if im wrong.

Lutfij

Titan
You merely placed in your specs generically.

Make and model of these...? Model for your LG 4K moinitor?

EVGA is the brand of the unit while 750W is the advertised wattage for the PSU. What is the model and how old is the PSU in question? So you're working with an iGPU? You're also using the stock cooler for your processor? Do you have additional fans in your chassis to aid with airflow and/or exhaust?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

The graphics performance of the integrated gpu is not that great.
It depends on fast dual channel ram for good performance.
One thing you can do is to increase the default amount of ram to be dedicated to the gpu.
I think this is done in the Intel graphics app.

If that is insufficent, then add a discrete graphics card.

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
You merely placed in your specs generically.

Make and model of these...? Model for your LG 4K moinitor?

EVGA is the brand of the unit while 750W is the advertised wattage for the PSU. What is the model and how old is the PSU in question? So you're working with an iGPU? You're also using the stock cooler for your processor? Do you have additional fans in your chassis to aid with airflow and/or exhaust?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
The Chassis is the tower? Cougar MX330
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
AMI BIOS 7D98v12
LG 27 up600
Everything is new bought in the last few weeks. I am using the stock cooler on the cpu. No additional fans but the tower fan and cpu fan. I'm on all the latest drivers and firmware.

The graphics performance of the integrated gpu is not that great.
It depends on fast dual channel ram for good performance.
One thing you can do is to increase the default amount of ram to be dedicated to the gpu.
I think this is done in the Intel graphics app.
If that is insufficent, then add a discrete graphics card.
My ram is
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600 MHz (PC4-28800)
Would this cheapo gpu be sufficient. It seems to do hdmi 4k @ 60hz. I would use that for my tv output and keep my monitor on the motherboard dp port.
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Video-Graphics-GV-N710D3-2GL-REV2-0/dp/B01IEO05NU?th=1

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
try to stop the video being played, and see if the gpu utilization percentage going down.

probably your gpu is just being used for the video decoding or video playback.

online video playback, like youtube will utilize "video decode" on task manager, gpu section.

but if you are playing with offline video player, the player sometime utilize the 3D instead, if you check at task manager, GPU.

since you are using integrated graphic card, and intergrated graphic card performance are pretty weak.
i think it is normal if gpu utilization getting high during high resolution video playback.

and browser also use some of your gpu when you are crolling through pages.
did you open facebook on a browser?

this is just my guessing.
maybe intergrated gpu are just not strong enough to handle two 4k display while doing multitasking, 1 display doing video playback, 1 display scrolling on a facebook.

correct me if im wrong.
You are right. When I stop the video the video or close facebook window gpu drops drastically but goes back up if I open one or the other. So I'm guessing I will need a gpu just to handle one display by itself? If so would this work
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Video-Graphics-GV-N710D3-2GL-REV2-0/dp/B01IEO05NU?th=1

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
The GT710 card is about half as strong as the integrated HD730.
If just using one app or the other performs ok, then perhaps it might do.

I think you may be looking at a $150 class card.
I'll give it a shot with amazon and if it doesn't work out I'll try the gt730 next. I watch 4k content mainly on my tv but want to be able to view video content on tv and watch youtube or surf the web without lag. BTW just to check, going to a higher cpu like i5-12600k won't fix the issue either?

No, the higher end processors do have a slightly stronger integrated gpu.
But not enough better.

Did you find a setting to increase the video buffer to perhaps 2k?
That is the very first thing to do.

GT730 is only marginally stronger than GT210.
And there are different GT730 models.

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
No, the higher end processors do have a slightly stronger integrated gpu.
But not enough better.

Did you find a setting to increase the video buffer to perhaps 2k?
That is the very first thing to do.

GT730 is only marginally stronger than GT210.
And there are different GT730 models.
A setting on the intel app? No, I downloaded it but don't see a buffer setting. I just see color settings. Intel Graphics Command Center

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
Resized-20230217-221439.jpg
change the 64mb share memory of the integrated adapter.
I think you can afford to go up to perhaps 2gb since you have 16gb of ram.
The highest option is 160M so I did that

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
Did that do any good?
I might think so.
Yes! So far I've watched 4k movie and 4k hdr youtube at same time without issue. I don't see any option past 160M, do you know where else in the bios it could be? Thanks so much for the advice. Now I can return that GPU without even having to use it. Now if you can tell me why screen capturing keeps acting up on gomplayer for me I'll be set lol.