[SOLVED] What's causing the boot loop?

Oct 9, 2019
Honestly I'm dying at this point

So go back a few months and I had thought why not have my computer connect to my drawing pad my flat screen TV and a regular monitor

So I decide to do that of course they didn't run because my mother board had some settings I needed to change

So I had another thought my PC cable management looks terrible why don't I re do the entire thing,so I go to my dining room table and start unplugging all the wires and re doing them to look prettier, satisfied with my wire management I try to turn on the computer to see everything was ok, it wasn't it started to boot loop, it would turn on then after about 2-4 seconds turn off then repeat this process until I cut the power via the psu switch. So I tried re-seating the ram(didn't work) reseating my graphics cards(didn't work) then seeing if the 16 or 24 pin was the issue but it looked fine, so I thought maybe it's the psu, maybe it was being faulty and I needed a replacement.

Fast forward to the present(2months) and I got a rosewill 750 which of course supplied 750watts and I thought surely this would fix my problem, so I take out the old psu and put in the new one, and did some cable management, just to turn it back on and boot loop once again, turning on and off every few seconds. Now I sit here wondering if I should throw my computer off a cliff

My specs:
Windows 10
I7-7700k
16gb ram
Gtx 1660
Gtx 1050
Gigabyte z270x ultra gaming motherboard
And my useless soul

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
As usual with troubleshooting, unplug everything you don't need.

So take out the GPUs, one stick of ram, unplug the front panel stuff, etc. Should just be power supply, ATX connector, CPU power connector, CPU, and a stick of ram. All drives should be unplugged or removed. Only plug in the keyboard and a monitor to the motherboard.

The reason for only the keyboard it to rule out a damaged peripheral. If it is starting Windows then fails, that can be a sign of a shorted USB port or device. I have seen that let a computer run the BIOS but not Windows because some features aren't turned on until the OS loads. Check your ports for any damage as well. (You can also test the keyboard with another computer to be sure)

See if that boots to...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As usual with troubleshooting, unplug everything you don't need.

So take out the GPUs, one stick of ram, unplug the front panel stuff, etc. Should just be power supply, ATX connector, CPU power connector, CPU, and a stick of ram. All drives should be unplugged or removed. Only plug in the keyboard and a monitor to the motherboard.

The reason for only the keyboard it to rule out a damaged peripheral. If it is starting Windows then fails, that can be a sign of a shorted USB port or device. I have seen that let a computer run the BIOS but not Windows because some features aren't turned on until the OS loads. Check your ports for any damage as well. (You can also test the keyboard with another computer to be sure)

See if that boots to the BIOS, try the other memory stick if it doesn't. If it does, toss in your boot drive. See if that boots to Windows or does the boot loop, again swap the ram around. If it does a boot loop, you probably have a software problem. Download a bootable linux distribution. See if that works.

If it still doesn't work, then you have a very narrow list of things to look at. You already replaced the power supply, so that probably rules out a bad or shorted wire. Just leaves a bad CPU or Motherboard. Which sucks, but there you are.

If it boots under all these circumstances, start adding your hardware in one thing at a time. Front panel I/O, drives, then the GPUs, one at a time. Until it stops booting, or everything is installed.

Solution