Question Whats causing this boot to desktop issue (Asus strix 3070ti)

Aitchy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
end of last year sometime I done a usual nvdia driver update and something weird happened and computer black screen froze during it, this has now been happening when I boot up the PC for the last 6+ months, and I keep hoping a new nvidia driver update with clean install might fix it but it never happens

when booting the PC i get past the normal spalsh screen with the "press f2 del for bios" then get onto the rog loading screen which works normally for a few seconds with the spinning circle, then it just freezes and flickers, to get it to boot to windows I have to manually power down or hold the power button to turn it off then turn it on again, after a few tries it eventually will boot normally, i say "normally" but after a few tries Ill eventaully just press the power button and windows login screen will appear right away like the computer has been woke up from sleeping in this flickering screen state

this has been going on for months and Im sick of it now, since i want to try overclocking my cpu but having to put up with this everytime I want to reload settings is not something I want to have to do

whenever I install new nvidia drivers it never goes smoothly, the computer will usually freeze up with black screen near the end of the installation so i just wait until i think its done doing anything and press the power button until it loads into windows

sometimes Ill get white flickering bars at the top of screen instead of stuck flickering rog loading screen but its usually the rog loading circle screen i get to

ugh

build
win 10 64bit
10900k stock
corsair ddr4 32gb 3600mhz
asus strix 3070ti
strix z490-e mobo

got latest drivers and bios for mobo gpu etc

if when on this flickering fozrez screen i switch my hdmi cable into my mobo, i see desktop screen fine through intergrated graphics so i pressume this issue has someto do with my graphics card, not had any other issues with my gpu since getting it last year, gaming works fine and as it should

CMw82me.jpg

67JgZ6G.jpg

qIfMX3R.mp4

video - View: https://imgur.com/qIfMX3R
qIfMX3R.mp4

Last edited:

Aitchy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
i was playing around a bit more and when it freezes and flickers, if i remove the hdmi from the gpu then put it back in the desktop windows login screen appears wtf?