Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
PC Specs:

Seagate Barracuda 7200 HDD (320 gigs)
G31 Chipset Motherboard
4 gigs DDR2 RAM
Zotac GT 710 Graphics (2 GB DDR3)
Windows 10 64-Bit

I was facing frequent BSOD on my PC until it stopped booting completely. So I thought Windows is corrupted, I reinstalled Windows. After 1 Day, even the fresh install got corrupted. I repeated the process, it got corrupted again. Even the chkdsk was failing. BSOD in the middle of chkdsk.

I felt my HDD is causing these problems. So using diskpart clean command, I wiped the entire disk, created new partitions, installed Windows. Still no luck. Sudden BSOD, and on reboot, the system would not detect the HDD, and I would have to power down and turn on again in order for it to work.

I thought my HDD has reached the end of its life, so in order to verify if there's still some juice left it in, I installed Seagate SeaTools on Windows.

SMART - Pass
SDST - Fail
Short Generic - Pass
Long Generic - Fail

So I booted into SeaTools bootable version using a USB flash drive.

This time,

SMART - Pass
SDST - Fail
Short Generic - Pass
Long Generic - Pass

Still, I ran a Fix All - Long on the drive. Afterwards, all tests were passing, just the SMART started failing this time. I ignored it, booted into Windows, still no luck.

I decided to do a hard format, writing zeroes on the HDD using SeaTools. This process failed at 0.1%, and thereafter the HDD did not get detected. Apparently SeaTools permanently killed the HDD.

So I created a Windows-to-Go USB Drive, configured Windows on it and used it for 1-2 days, it worked perfectly fine. I deduced that the Motherboard and RAM are perfectly fine, it was only the HDD that was causing problems,

I replaced the HDD with a Seagate Pipeline 500 gigs, installed Windows 10 on the new HDD, it worked fine for one day.

On Day 2, I haven't got any BSOD so far, but PC suddenly freezes sometimes and then I have to power down and turn on again in order for it to work.

This has left me confused. I am unable to figure out what is causing problems to my PC.

tanmayvij

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

I've mentioned that even replacing the HDD didn't solve the problem.

tanmayvij

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

I am no longer able to boot into Windows. :( Can't go past the windows loading screen, or at most the lock screen.

tanmayvij

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

I did all those things yesterday (except GPU thermal paste, coz I won't be able to open it up). It was really fruitful, my CPU dropped at least 30 degrees and Windows felt a bit faster. I got no BSODs for at least an hour, but then it happened again...

tanmayvij

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Is there a chance the SATA controller on my motherboard might be dying? Coz the issue I'm facing is only with HDDs, that too just the boot partition. In the middle of operations, the PC stops interacting with the HDD. Windows to Go on USB worked perfectly fine

TRENDING THREADS