what's framworks really do?

when I go to the windows update site, one of the things to download is "net
frameworks." says its for developers in the brief. But I'm not a developer
so does it want me to install it?

I really can't figure out what it is or if I need it. I use a few java
console pulgins for stock market quotes and it looks like it's kinda like
that, but I'm worried that if I install it java won't work anymore.

Can anybody straighten me out on this?

Thanks,
Alby

Scott

"Alex Andra" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> when I go to the windows update site, one of the things to download is
"net
> frameworks." says its for developers in the brief. But I'm not a
developer
> so does it want me to install it?
>
> I really can't figure out what it is or if I need it. I use a few java
> console pulgins for stock market quotes and it looks like it's kinda like
> that, but I'm worried that if I install it java won't work anymore.
>
> Can anybody straighten me out on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Alby

I'm not really sure what it's for but it can be rather annoying. I'm the
only user on my pc and would like it to start up without logging on, yet
with .net framework i HAVE to it seems. I went to 'User Accounts' and tried
to change the way users log on but it made the log on more like windows 98
than anything!

What's the point and what's it for?

Scott

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:50:57 -0400, "Alex Andra" <bogus@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>when I go to the windows update site, one of the things to download is "net
>frameworks." says its for developers in the brief. But I'm not a developer
>so does it want me to install it?
>
>I really can't figure out what it is or if I need it. I use a few java
>console pulgins for stock market quotes and it looks like it's kinda like
>that, but I'm worried that if I install it java won't work anymore.
>
>Can anybody straighten me out on this?
>
>Thanks,
>Alby

The .net frameworks is a set of libraries that are used meant to make
programming network programs (among other things) easier. Personally,
I don't think there's anything in it that's not already done better
elsewhere, using existing functions, but that's not really important
to your question.

Anyways, part of the .net frameworks is a runtime, which are the
components needed to run programs coded using .net libraries. It's
like DirectX, where you have to install the DirectX runtime to run
games which were coded with DirectX.

If you don't run any programs coded with .NET components, you don't
need to install it. In fact .net isn't quite as big a deal as
Microsoft makes it out to be, so there aren't really that many .net
coded programs out there at the moment. Further, if you DO run .net
programs, the installer will probably prompt you to install .net onto
your system.

Nutshell: If you already have it installed, leave it. If you don't,
don't bother installing it until you find you need to.

MCheu