What's going on here?

Lmtl80

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Hi,

I'm having some very strange issues with Windows 10.
I use it for gaming, and was in the middle of downloading a game through EA's origin service. Since these files can take hours, I left the computer running and went off to do something else.

The computer had been running for about an hour, and I was in the other room when I heard the Mac boot chime (I'm running the OS through a harddrive partition on a Mac Pro).

I went to see why and the computer had restarted.
Upon logging in I was greeted by a black pop up box in the corner telling me some updates had taken place, and to click for more info.
I did click and nothing happened.

And Infact, nothing happened when clicking on any program; the only thing that operates is the start button.
I've rebooted several times and still the same, just nothing launches.

Has anyone else experience this? I presume it's something to do with that update, but I don't even know what the update was for as it just happened while I wasn't at the computer.

Thanks a lot!

Solution
Windows 10 correct? Are you logged into the computer using a Microsoft Account or a local account?

Do you have two USB Flash Drives, both at least 4GB? If not, do you have one USB flash drive of at least 4GB and a writable DVD? My best suggestion at this point is going to be to make a Live CD/USB of Linux so that you can copy your files to a back up medium like a flash drive (hence why I suggested at least 4GB). A spare hard drive would work as well, doesn't matter whether it's internal or external.

You can get to the desktop and open the Start Menu, but you can't open Settings?

Tell me, does pressing Windows+r do anything? If a Run box appears, type in C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter. Note: This directory assumes that Windows is installed on the C: drive. If Windows is installed on a different drive, substitute C: for the correct drive letter.

Looks like another Microsoft forced update used in windows 10.
Has gone wrong and messed windows 10 up for you Lmtl80.

Ah the good old days where you could tell and set the system what to do if there were new updated for the OS like how windows 7 was setup.

1. Dont download new updates.
2. Download updates, but do not install them without notifying me.

That`s what you get when a company takes control of an operating system and removes options like you have in windows 7.

And tell you that windows 10 is so much better.
But more so taking the control out of your hands.
The idea of a OS is to make it flexible not lock features down of it giving you limited choices or options.
On how you as the user wish it to operate with your say so, or by changing settings.

If it was windows 7 it would of never happen.
Where it could just choose to download and install updates, automatically that can wreak havoc after being installed.

They should add the feature to windows 10 for the user of it to have an option to ignore all updates.
Or download them but not auto install them, with notification that the update files have been downloaded.
Giving the user of windows 10 a choice to install or not install the update in case the update has undesired effects after being installed.

Lmtl80

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
That's right, clicking on settings does nothing

Typed that in and It says the action can't be completed, that the line basically isn't valid.
I typed it in multiple times and the drive is definitely the c drive so the location is correct...

Are there any other ways to get to system restore?

Open the Start Menu, open the Power Menu and place your mouse over Restart but don't click yet. Hold Shift while you click Restart and you'll be brought to an Advanced Startup menu. From there, select Troubleshoot. Somewhere in there there's an option to get into System Restore.

Lmtl80

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Another thing I've noticed actually is that non of the programs that usually start upon launch are doing.
Steam would come on automatically but now it's not. I'm not getting anything from any of the programs.

CTRL+ALT+DELETE just gives me a black screen, and then after five minuets or so it just returns to the unresponsive desktop.

notepad seems to work, but no other program app or programme.

Windows 10 correct? Are you logged into the computer using a Microsoft Account or a local account?

Do you have two USB Flash Drives, both at least 4GB? If not, do you have one USB flash drive of at least 4GB and a writable DVD? My best suggestion at this point is going to be to make a Live CD/USB of Linux so that you can copy your files to a back up medium like a flash drive (hence why I suggested at least 4GB). A spare hard drive would work as well, doesn't matter whether it's internal or external.

Solution