[SOLVED] What's Going On With My GPU? :(

Knight Artorias

Honorable
May 5, 2014
Greetings,

Apparently my old GPU (r9 290) knew that I'm looking to replace him. everything was working fine till yesterday, my GPU suddenly started acting up and there were constant driver crashes and "default radeon wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" messages. since then I have done the following:

1-clean install the driver multiple times using DDU. (whenever I install the driver screen goes black completely, I have tried multiple different versions and no luck).
2-updated my bios.
3-disconnect the card from motherboard and reconnect it again.
4-connect another cable to the integrated graphics card to verify it's not a cable issue. The screen connected to the integrated graphics card was working just fine and everything is normal, where the screen connected to r9 290 was showing some weird artifacts as shown below:

3OZ9m1x.jpg

Help me out guys, is my GPU dying or what? I have no idea at this point. Also, what would you guys suggest as replacement? my budget is $400.

Thanks!

Solution
It’s a 650w PSU from Gigabyte, I don’t know the specific model because I’m at work now.
Gotcha - well it would be worth finding out, GB do make some poorer units, but regardless, the 2060 would be a good shout for 1080p, a 5700 would also be good and may be around the same price, which can usually handle a bit more than 1080p, but would be good value.

Knight Artorias

Honorable
May 5, 2014
Could be a dying GPU yes. How long have you had it?
What is the rest of your system spec including PSU make and model?

I have been using it since 2013. Under max load the temperature would be around 90-95. People say it’s normal but I’m have had my doubts regarding this point.

As for the PSU it’s from Gigabyte (650w).

Specs : i5-4670k - 8 gb ram (1600mhz ddr3) - socket 1150 Gigabyte motherboard (z87-hd3)

Knight Artorias

Honorable
May 5, 2014
What resolution/refresh rate?
What settings do you want to achieve and what's the rest of your system including PSU make and model?

Aiming for max settings 1080p/60fps gaming.
My specs are: i5-4670k - 8 gb ram (1600mhz ddr3) - socket 1150 Gigabyte motherboard (z87-hd3)

If you have any suggestions for improvement go ahead.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It’s a 650w PSU from Gigabyte, I don’t know the specific model because I’m at work now.
Gotcha - well it would be worth finding out, GB do make some poorer units, but regardless, the 2060 would be a good shout for 1080p, a 5700 would also be good and may be around the same price, which can usually handle a bit more than 1080p, but would be good value.

Solution

Knight Artorias

Honorable
May 5, 2014

That’s what I figured, the decision now is whether I go with red team or green time. Thank you for your response!