What's going wrong??? Problem with motherboard or PSU? Others?

ragingazn628

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm building an HTPC. I put everything together and there's something wrong. Nothing is showing up on the screen (tried onboard graphics and graphics card as well). I tried different several RAM sticks. Odd thing is when I turn the power button on the back of the PSU the entire system turns on. All the fans are running, CPU / graphics etc. - I even unplugged all the front panel connectors still same thing. Is there something wrong with the motherboard or PSU or something else? There is a green light on the motherboard so I don't think it's dead. Help me!

ragingazn628

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I currently only have 3 things plugged into the motherboard:

RAM
CPU
PSU

Graphics is integrated.

The PSU powers on automatically when I turn it on from the back. Everything else is unplugged from the mobo.

Looks that way, unless u have a short somewhere.

Check the PSU wires for the damage.

BTW, do u have some critters like cats? My 2 cats would surely like to look inside.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

I would get a new mobo. I have a dell laptop with a bad mobo and it does the same thing your system is doing. Turns on automatically when I plug in the power adapter =/

h2_studio

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
i do need some opinion as well. i'm also have a little problem with my system regarding turning on the PC, although not as severe as the first post. my problem is that every time i turn on my PC, (90% of the time) it will hang within booting the windows (between the first thing on the screen(BIOS/POST screen) until few seconds after i logged in to windows). what i normally do is to let it be for 5-or so minutes and then restart the system (i just call this "warming-up" time, LOL). restarting too early will not help either. after "warming-up the PC will boot normally, though the windows repair screen will come out

i've tried formatting windows, it doesn't help
is there a problem with the mobo? or is it my PSU is not enough for the system?
my PC spec is as stated below:

CPU : AMD Phenom X4 9550
Mobo : ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
RAM : 1x 2GB Kingston 2G-UDIMM DRR2
1x 2GB Corsair Value Select VS2GB667D2 DDR2
GPU : ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP 1GB DDR5
HDD : Drive #1 - WDC WD6400AACS-00G8B (596 GB)
Drive #2 - WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (931 GB)
Optical : Lite-On DVD-RW
PSU : Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W

quite a mixed-up eh? i guess the rating for my PSU is 70+