Whats happening To CPU Temperature

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi. im not sure if i send my question to wrong forum channel.

Ive Msi 970A-G45 Mainboard. when i Go to bios i can see that my cpu temperature is 47 c and after a while(1 or 2 minute) it reaches to 60 c.
At this point CPU Fan Speed is about 5700rpm. After that i saw the temperature goes down and i just said to myself WTF. it reaches under 35 c and i just did shutdown it.
ofcouse im not sure if its CPU problem or Mainboard.
when i use Prime 95 in windows (7 64bit) whenever the temperature is below 62 its ok nothing horrible going happen but when it goes higher Some times i see cpu Core temperature at 197(all six core) and cpu fan speed goes down it reach to 3000rpm.

Is It Ok to get blue-screen or sudden restart at this point? or should i send my Mainboard for warranty
I used AMD Overdrive and Msi Control Center for observing CPU Temperature.

another thing how can i set memory speed to 1600, some people told me that phenom 2 x6 wont support 1600 properly and i might get blue screen during work.

My System. I bought my whole system in
Mainboard msi 970A-G45 Bios version 1.40
CPU AMD Phenom II X6 1090 3.2 ( No Overclock) With Stock Fan.
Ram A-Data Gaming I 1600 4x4GB (16 GB) running At Mainboard Default 1333.
VGA Msi 520 1GB 64bit (im waiting for amd's new gpus)
PSU 785W
Case X5-Fusion

You may have a setting somewhere that needs to be changed. Using windows monitoring software? Also check and recalibrate any smartfan settings in the bios. I see my ssd temp reach critical levels when running hdtune. I know it's a software glitch, so I ignore it. 62c is ok for short periods of time. Nothing to worry about there. Phenom II may run fine at default with 1600 ram; depends on the board bios default settings. It will certainly run fine when the cpu is overclocked.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

I Already Contacted with warranty engineers about the issue and he told me to use Intel Burn Test.
Hopefully during test i used AMD Overdrive and saw what really happened.
During that critical moment Cpu multiplier droped to 4.0(from 16.0). Only after a Restart it backs to normal(16.0).
Just What is this? why should it happens. I want to use this computer to Render in 3d max and if it happens during render my render wont finish in a week.
i disabled AMD CoolnQuit from Bios but nothing changed.
Now Everytime i go to bios after each 5 minute it happens. i mean in each intensive load cpu multiplier drops.

Thank you for your time in advance.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

I dont know what do you mean. why would they related to each other anyway i mean Cpu Multiplier and Cpu cooler?!

You can try disabling "cool and quiet" in the bios; sometimes it has glitches while running, especially when overclocking. My board will use cool and quiet while overclocking, but some boards won't. You don't list your power supply brand and specs.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

As i said before i did disabled cool and quiet. and im not doing any Overclocking.
Here is full specification about my case and psu on official site.
Its brand is Green.

Case:
http://www.green-case.com/products/case/midi/case.php?model=x5

Power:
http://www.green-case.com/products/power/power.php?model=gp785b

also if you want to know my cpu gel is
http://www.green-case.com/products/fan/fan.php?model=tuniq_tx4

and my system fan is
http://www.green-case.com/products/fan/fan.php?model=vortex_pwm120

my case contains 5 active fan. and cpu fan is stock fan.

Your power supply is fine. You might be able to find an older bios version on msi's website if you want to try it, but frequently msi removes older files with bios updates, at least for "live update". Otherwise, if you've tested the ram with memtest, the only item left is the board.

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
if the cooler aint installed properly it causes the cpu to overheat ....... cuz no matter how many rpms ur fan is doin it cooling a heatsink that aint installed properly on the cpu so check that first and make sure the heatsink is installed right.....thats probably whats causing the high temp and if thats the case its normal to get the blue screen and a sudden restart

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Some answer from MSI
"due to power design specifications we strongly advise against running heavy bum in tools on this mainboard to protect your system from heat damage".
Does it mean if i get new bios ( version 1.3 and 1.4 ) Mainboard will automatically change CPU multiplier to 4.0 for its own safty?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

your a troll either go away or actually take advice if your not a troll. stop rambling about stuff that we arent even talking about. you come here to ask us for help so help us out and answer our questions so that we can get this fixed.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Im not trolling im just saying what is really happening and if u dont believe me change that title of veteran of yours.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

I found this problem from Bios Version 1.30 and now ive version 1.40 and it persists.
My CPU Cooler is installed Correctly.
And My problem now is not sudden restard or bluescreen anymore.
should i mention it again? just scroll up and see it.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
you never had answered if the cooler was on correctly.

so let me get this straight, sometimes you see 62*c when using prime95 but sometimes you see up to 190ish *? are you using the same monitoring program all the time? and are you sure that you have it displaying Celsius as well?

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

yeah its celsius. And No 62c is from Msi Control Center and 197c is Core temperature from AMD OverDrive.i know its stupid to get 197c i believe its a bug when my problem happen and i Found the problem during testing with intel burn test. 197 Happens when cpu clock is 800MHz, i mean whenever the cpu temperature reach 62 ,mainboard sets cpu multiplier to 4.0 and 4*200 = 800MHz . should i make another thread for this problem?

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I think i found the source of problem when main temp goes higher than a threshold new bios drops the cpu power to 800MHz (4.0 multiplier from 16 ) so cpu goes under 40 degree to prevent failure.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G45.html#/?div=TestReport

and this one says it from a third party persons

http://www.overclock.net/t/1187991/msi-870s-g54-with-amd-1100t

and here is the proof for exploding mainboards in newegg feedback

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-590&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1

Pros: Was nice and fast, saw all of my drives, and was very quick under Raid 0 for the disk controllers
Cons: Components on the board literally exploded and caught fire while I ran Prime95 on a 1090T, which is documented to support it
Other Thoughts: Suppose this is the last MSI product I own, I had a similar issue with one of their video cards a few months ago, just junky components. Pity, I used to buy their stuff for OEM builds pretty frequently and never had any major issues

cbrunnem

Distinguished
id just rma it.

is there actually any really performance hit from this problem?
cause if not you can just rma it and give them a credit card as collateral and when you receive your new board ship them the old and you have a working computer the whole time.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

EDIT: "Yes There Is Perfomance hit and its about 400% downclock to 800MHz."

"They ACCEPTED the problem and told me these new Msi Board got power circuit problems and didnt DENY anything like they KNEW it form START :pfff:
they told me i can change it to GD80 and ive to pay more for it.

Ofcourse it wasnt part of warranty but they are going to change it for me.

i was going to buy another Msi 970A-G45 for my next computer but now i wont get another msi.
this time i'll get Asus sabertooth or M5A97.

and thnx for help and your time anyway.