What's In Nvidia Driver 364.47? Vulkan API, Game Support And Bug Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The author of this article didn't do his research. Vulkan isn't a competitor to mantle because Vulkan's new features are all based off Mantle. It would be like saying Vulkan is a competitor to previous versions of OpenGL.

What this does tell me is that Nvidia could have support Mantle at any time they wanted to but just didn't because that would mean giving in to AMD. Now that mantle has merged with Vulkan, Nvidia is more than happy to include it. I guess they don't really have a choice though seeing as they were already caught being behind on DX 12. I expect AMD to outperform Nvidia on Vulkan.

MrMojoRisin

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
"This API is being designed by Khronos Group as a competitor to Apple’s Metal, AMD’s Mantle and Microsoft’s DirectX 12."
It's competing with DirectX 12, yes, but AMD and Apple are both on the board of promoters of the Khronos group. AMD actually contributed Mantle to the Vulcan code base. So I wouldn't exactly call Vulcan a competitor to Mantle and Metal.

The driver is out now, you don't need to wait for tomorrow...

Nvidia didn't have support for Mantle because it was proprietary to AMD GPUs. It was open in the sense that any game developer could use it, but not in the sense that Nvidia and Intel could implement support for it.

And it is still accurate to say that Mantle and Vulkan are competitors. AMD has been quite clear that it wanted to help restart the development of gaming APIs, which had essentially stalled. AMD helped with the development of Vulkan, but that doesn't make Mantle and Vulkan the same. Vulkan isn't "Mantle 2.0". Games that were developed and supported Mantle don't all of a sudden have support for Vulkan. They are still clearly different and recognizable APIs that compete against each other.

islane

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

The driver is out now, you don't need to wait for tomorrow...

I think a lot of people were problems with this new driver today. People on r/nvidia reporting BSODs, crashes, no video on reboot, etc... I would hold off on this one for a day or two.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
technically Vulcan "competes" with OpenGL in that you can choose to use either, just like you can choose between opengl and directx. Vulcan is separate from OpenGL from how I understand it, but is toted as being for different use cases. Vulcan is just your Performance>all category vs traditional OpenGL compatibility>all(pretty huge simplification). You may be able to use them together in the same project but I haven't looked that deep into it yet.

So the real situation is (Vulcan OR(?) OpenGL) XOR DirectX, and who cares about the other 3d api's (no one(important))

Networkbob

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
I just tried updating to to 364.47 through geforce experience. My PC blanked the screens and put a load of graphics corruption up in small boxes. These flashed a few times and then BSOD indicating an nvidia file had crashed, PC rebooted and once again same thing.. BSOD crash loop. I had luckily imaged the system drive yesterday so I was able to restore from that back to 362.00

Card Zotac GTX980TI Amp Extreme

Yes we noticed quite a few users posting that they had problems, but we tested it out on a system and ran several games including Just Cause 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Assassins Creed Syndicate, but we didn't notice any stability issues. I posted an update in regards to this issue, but as we aren't able to replicate the issues there isn't much we can say about it.

Moneyd623

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
I had the same BSOD and reboot loop happen to me (GTX 980, i7-6700, Win 10, running 4k @ 60 FPS).

Boot into safe mode, go into device manager and roll back the graphics driver. That's what fixed it for me.

Multiple monitors? I installed it fine with just 1 connected. After reading geforce forums, I didn't want to risk it with the other connected. So far so good.

Moneyd623

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

Multiple monitors? I installed it fine with just 1 connected. After reading geforce forums, I didn't want to risk it with the other connected. So far so good.

Nope just one monitor (TV really).
It was strange, despite the screen displaying an all green and slightly distorted version of the desktop, it wouldn't give me mouse or keyboard control. Just kept flashing in and out of an all black screen until the BSOD/Restart.

Lekanswanson

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
What is this driver like for farcry 4, because i currently have so much fps drop in that game, its running at like 80 fps average maxed out 1440p but the constant drops to 30 fps and back up is annoying. Also the game will simply not launch with shadowplay on.

braveheart2112

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
This driver caused catastrophic failure of my system. Looping boot cycle. Had to completely reset windows 10 and lost so much in saved games and program installations. I suspect my video card bios may have been corrupted by this nasty driver. NOT a happy camper.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

You misunderstood. Nvidia "game ready" drivers have had a long pattern of next day patches. See my post on the last Nvidia driver announcement. I said the same thing. Guess what? I was right...

Vulkan was built directly from Mantle's code as a foundation. You could definitely call it "Mantle 2.0" without the need for an AMD card.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2894036/mantle-is-a-vulkan-amds-dead-graphics-api-rises-from-the-ashes-as-opengls-successor.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

"That architecture proved useful when we [AMD] contributed the source code and API specification of Mantle to serve as the foundation of Vulkan in May of 2015"
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2016/02/16/radeon-gpus-are-ready-for-the-vulkan-graphics-api

from my understanding, amd was making it amd only while they tested it, and was later planning to release its use to everyone, as the api itself made amd cards perform a whole lot better, if everyone could use it, then why would anyone stick with dx11?

but amd canned the project before it got to that point.

Joker41NAM

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
NVidia is saying the driver issue is caused by multiple monitors. If that's your configuration, try unplugging all but one monitor and then booting up. They also say they have a (non-WHQL "beta") update 364.51 to fix the issue.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/921332/geforce-drivers/official-364-47-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-3-7-16-/

braveheart2112

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

braveheart2112

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Not accurate. Single display. Sli 760's. Just reset windows 10 and reinstalling all my programs and games. DDU in safe mode to remove drivers and installed previous drivers. Major inconvenience but no damage done found so far.

johnnymc

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
BAD - NVIDIA GeForce driver: 364.51 OpenCL: 1.2
BAD - NVIDIA GeForce driver: 364.47 OpenCL: 1.2

GOOD; NVIDIA GeForce driver: 362.00 OpenCL: 1.2

I had to roll back to 362.00 once my system repeatedly restarted as if I had pushed the reset button after 15 to 60 seconds of booting up using the two aforementioned bad drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.