What's inside RAM chips?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
A few days ago I got a very old memory stick so (of course) I broke it (the blach chips that are on the stick) to see what inside, all I saw was this thin piece of metal. How can you store anything on that? Anyway, I don't seem to understand how these storage devices with no moving parts work...

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL! They use capacitors. You know, a capacitor is a device that stores electical energy. My guess is no power means signal low and power means signal high, for a respective 0 and 1. There are lots of tiny capacitors about the side of a pin point in there.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
It is White Magic you know.

Anything technologically advanced enough looks like magic. Imagine a lighter, flashlight or airplaine, shown to someone 10,000 years ago!

I sometimes wonder how things get built. Some engineers sitting in an office design something, say 5,000 or 50,000 parts in it. They make drawings, order materials, machine the hardware (or electronic equivalents) and before you know it a 747 or somesuch comes out the other end of factory.

Personally I think little green men come around at night and do all the important work.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/30/03 08:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
actually i have an uncle who worked for ibm...

he says that they have programs that can virtually test complex circuts before they are manufactured...such as cpus...memory and mobos...

so basically computers are designed by computers...scary huh?

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
so basically computers are designed by computers...scary huh?
And we're all part of the Matrix!

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
computers tested using computers, designed by man, is probably more correct.

Computer was created by man so it don't matter anyway :p

-----------------------------------
The bigger I am, the harder they fall.