what's more important in a cpu, ghz or cores for gaming

jbphilo50

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
i trully dont know anymore what to think when it comes to a gaming cpu i want a amd fx series but people say the cores dont matter for gaming but amd fans say that the core I series is overpriced and doesnt have good ghz idk what to do or what to suggest my top budget for a cpu is 150 but i already ordered an am3+ soccet motherboard

GHz and cores mean nothing by themselves. We could be talking about a 3GHz Pentium D and a 3Ghz Core i3. Both processors have the same amount of cores and both are operating at a 3GHz clock speed. The architecture is what makes the real difference and not the CPU cores or clock speed. The 8 cores in the FX 8300 series of processors might not matter a whole lot in most of today's games but in the next year or 2 they will make quite a difference. Keep in mind that the PS4 will be using AMD's CPU architecture and you can bet on it that most new multiplatform titles will be more optimized for AMD's architecture.

dietrich1

Honorable
May 16, 2013

for your predicament, +1 to the post above. give this person a beer.

Since you already ordered a AM3+ motherboard getting a FX-8320 or FX-8350 would be your best option. As far as performance in games I have three rigs a FX-8120 a FX-8350 and a i5 3570K and I can say for sure that all three perform great in games. I can't say for sure which one is even better they all work very good as gaming rigs.

For gaming most of that comes down to the GPU since most games anymore are more GPU bound that they are CPU. Of course that is only true to a certain point.

jbphilo50

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks a lot everybody I saved a little bit more and got a 8350 and I'm now saving up to get a h60 maybe I wanna put clear tubes in it and different color water but I got a 550w do you think that will be ok

ihog

Distinguished

They are called "closed loop coolers" for a reason.

GuitarBoy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

If you want tto change tubings and coolant, change the whole hardware... closed loop systems are good for having no maintenance, but compared to real watercooling solutions it will lack some performance. If you want transparent tubing and a color coolant, try buying a EKWB (or EK) kit... even the most inexpensive will deliver more performance than a closed system from corsair.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Dont bother, the closed loop coolers arent worth it except for the higher end ones like the h100i or better.

If you are after good colours, look at the Phanteks TC-12DX. Can get it in a few different colour combinations and they look really good and are very good cooler, up there with Nocuta.

Phanteks_PH-TC12DX_Pic_01.jpg