Question What's my CPU speed? (No, seriously!!!)

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Task Manager and CPU-Z both record my CPU running between 3.5 and 4.1 GHz, no matter the load. Those readings don't go below that. But Ryzen master shows speeds less than 1 Gigahert when idle and it picks up under load. Even when CPU is not loaded, only 5% or less usage, CPUz and Task manager still show 3.5-4.1 GHz and anywhere in between. My question is: Which one is correct? Is task manager and CPUz wrong or is Ryzen master wrong?

CPU is Ryzen 3900X on Gigabyte X570 Master

BIOS is up to date. All BIOS settings are stock. XMP is enabled

Task Manager and CPU-Z both record my CPU running between 3.5 and 4.1 GHz, no matter the load. Those readings don't go below that. But Ryzen master shows speeds less than 1 Gigahert when idle and it picks up under load. Even when CPU is not loaded, only 5% or less usage, CPUz and Task manager still show 3.5-4.1 GHz and anywhere in between. My question is: Which one is correct? Is task manager and CPUz wrong or is Ryzen master wrong?

CPU is Ryzen 3900X on Gigabyte X570 Master

BIOS is up to date. All BIOS settings are stock. XMP is enabled
If you set max CPU at a low value ( ~5%) in Ryzen Balanced power plan, it can drop frequency quite a bit if it's in true idle state. I frequently find my 3700x under 2GHz and less than 1v.
HWinfo gives most accurate results and you can see the history of min and max cores frequency. It all depends on demands on the CPU. At high loads, one or more cores should go as high as 4.6GHz with rest of them to about 4.4GHz.
At 5% usage at least one core should go as far as 4.1GHz but that's usage of whole CPU not only one core.
It also depends of what is running as some applications may use only one core while others may use all of them.