whats my maximum memory?

gamerguy2014

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
so i got this new computer,and its pretty good, but i was finding a little bit of lag. especially with live streaming. how much ram should i get? any recommended ram brands? whjat is my max ram? my cpu is quad core i3 3.4 ghz

Solution

8GB RAM is usually the sweet-spot for gaming, live streaming will probably start to push this with more demanding games.

But software-streaming on an i3 is pretty big ask. The i3 is actually dual core FYI, it's hyperthreaded so can handle 4 threads (making it appear a little like a quad core) but it's only got two cores.
When you say "lag", I'm assuming you mean a drop in framerate (things stop being smooth). If that consistently gets worse when you start streaming, that suggests your CPU is struggling to...

JimF_35

Distinguished
Need the make and model of your motherboard. I don't think RAM is going to help you with live streaming though. That is mainly your network connection. What kind of Internet connection do you have are you using WiFi or direct connect with an Ethernet cord?

8GB RAM is usually the sweet-spot for gaming, live streaming will probably start to push this with more demanding games.

But software-streaming on an i3 is pretty big ask. The i3 is actually dual core FYI, it's hyperthreaded so can handle 4 threads (making it appear a little like a quad core) but it's only got two cores.
When you say "lag", I'm assuming you mean a drop in framerate (things stop being smooth). If that consistently gets worse when you start streaming, that suggests your CPU is struggling to keep up with the additional demands, which wouldn't be surprising... as I said, streaming on an i3 is a big ask.

Can you give us your full system specs? CPU & Motherboard make & model, current RAM (just the amount is fine) and graphics card make & model?

For streaming on an i3 you might want to look into ShadowPlay if you have an Nvidia card. It offloads the real-time encoding to the video card which will take a massive load of your CPU. AMD have recently released similar software (Raptr I believe) for their cards, but it's not as developed yet. I haven't used either to be honest, but I've read that these solutions are a little more restrictive (some streamers have a bunch of overlays and other things they use which has limited support in ShadowPlay - probably even less in Raptr), but it'll for sure improve your frames if you are CPU bottlenecked... which is likely!

Solution

gamerguy2014

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

thanks, i have good internet, when i do a apeedtest its 57mbps download speed, and im using wifi.
my mother board is hewlett-packard 500-281 (had to look up how)

gamerguy2014

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

thanks! my cpu is i3-4130 @3.4 ghz, ram is 4 gb, motherboard is hewlet packard 500-281, and gpu is nvidia geforce gt 740, so i probably need a better cpu and ram, anyy reccomended models that would work?

TRENDING THREADS