[SOLVED] What's problem with my R9 280 (video attachment inside) ?

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi mates,

I've had an old R9 280 laying around in an anti-static bag with few moisture-absorbing silica gels.

Wife's laptop computer has recently died due to a liquid contact so I've built a desktop for her with my old PC's used parts.
She likes to play games like RUST, Assassin's Creed, Forza Horizon 4 as well, but considering the crazy GPU shortage and massively inflated prices, I've decided to give a shot at my good old R9 280 first.

It has;
Ryzen 5 1600
Hyper X Fury 16GB(2x8) 3200MHz 1.35V
Corsair VS550 80+White
ASUS R9 280 DirectCU II TOP 3GB GDDR5 384Bit
Gigabyte B450M S2H -Bios version F52

Yesterday it was working fine for her 6hours of continuous use,
This morning it decided to give pain signals and cuts the image while booting. (Watch the video)

What could be the source of this behavior? VRAM error? Or the CHIP Failure?

I could try heating the chip I have a hot air gun ranging 60-600celcius. Would that make it work for a couple more months?
And undervolting - underclocking this GPU is impossible with MSI afterburner. Sliders don't work on this GPU, don't know the reason honestly. But it beats me.

View: https://youtu.be/P9punO8hDC0

Solution
Most likely bad memory or memory controller on the card, or partial IC detachment from the board. Hardware issue.
Do not use the air gun on large ICs, without pre-heater you will likely make things worse - the card will bow due to uneven heating (which might have caused it in the first place) and it will introduce more issues.
  • First, find out which IC it is (if multiple ICs return errors at the same address it would be the controller shot or core detachment)
  • Preheat the card carefully to 150C or so, then take the defective part off and clean the pads, then re-ball a new one and install
If the above does not make any sense to you, take it to a tech.
P.S Honestly, I would not bother fixing even a Hawaii card, even...

Ralston18

Titan
Try another known working video cable.

Try another known working monitor.

Are you able to get into BIOS? Check the configuration settings. Set POST to be as verbose as possible.

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Manually download the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Re-install and reconfigure.

Pull the GPU and try booting via integrated Graphics if supported.

Try the R9 280 in another known working computer.

Try another known working GPU in your wife's computer.

Determine if the problem follows the GPU or stays with the computer.

= = = =

Forego the heat gun "treatment".

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Thank you @Ralston18 for responding with troubleshooting steps. I've tried everything and answered the outcome below in a quote:

Try another known working video cable.
Tried, same behavior

Try another known working monitor.
Tried, same behavior

Are you able to get into BIOS? Check the configuration settings. Set POST to be as verbose as possible.
Can't get into BIOS, even if I manage to get in, with all the artifacts on the screen, it goes black 2 seconds later before I configure anything

Try booting into Safe Mode.
No chance, same behavior

Manually download the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Re-install and reconfigure.
Did this the day I built her PC, everything works perfectly on drivers side

Pull the GPU and try booting via integrated Graphics if supported.
No integrated Graphics on R6 1600 sadly

Try the R9 280 in another known working computer.
Tried, same behavior on an already working computer

Try another known working GPU in your wife's computer.
Tried my own GPU in her PC, works perfectly fine (Games, 1hr furmark)

Determine if the problem follows the GPU or stays with the computer.
At this point, everything points out to a HARDWARE related issue with the GPU.
= = = =

Forego the heat gun "treatment".
Funny thing is, after heating the chip for 5 minutes @130~celcius, the card works.
Post to desktop, runs youtube videos perfectly fine.

But can't run furmark or any game title that stresses GPU, shoots artifacts on the screen. + Freeze + Crash

Most likely bad memory or memory controller on the card, or partial IC detachment from the board. Hardware issue.
Do not use the air gun on large ICs, without pre-heater you will likely make things worse - the card will bow due to uneven heating (which might have caused it in the first place) and it will introduce more issues.
  • First, find out which IC it is (if multiple ICs return errors at the same address it would be the controller shot or core detachment)
  • Preheat the card carefully to 150C or so, then take the defective part off and clean the pads, then re-ball a new one and install
If the above does not make any sense to you, take it to a tech.
P.S Honestly, I would not bother fixing even a Hawaii card, even today with the madness around GPU market... and 280 has Tahiti.

Last edited:
Reactions: R1 owner
Solution

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the GPU is indeed faulty. Likely something "loose".

When heated, more like overheated actually, via the heat gun, whatever is loose gets hot, expands, and the GPU works until it cools down again to normal operating temperatures.

As noted above fixing the GPU could be problematic. Repairs may or may not be worth a try depending on how much you wish to spend and the risks of permanently damaging the card. The latter being somewhat moot anyway as the GPU is not working as it should to being with.

Reactions: R1 owner

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Thank you everyone who responded. I've decided to retire the TDP monster R9 280. Actually managed to find a 250$ GTX 1650 OC for wife's PC. So we can play our favourite titles in 1080p ultra 60fps without fear :) In the shortage, this is an amazing deal for my country. They usually sell for 400$ around this time.