whats so good about water cooling?

Solution
Liquid, being a better heat conductor than air, can theoretically result in a better cooling situation.

But most of the inexpensive prebuilt liquid coolers are not more efficient than the better air coolers. And louder and more fail prone.

An air cooler has but one moving part. A liquid cooler has several.
An air cooler can never leak. Liquid coolers sometimes (rarely) do.

At the extreme ends of overclocking, you'll probably need the extra efficiency of a good liquid cooler. But that is added expense and hassle. The inexpensive ones are not really any better heatwise than a good (cheaper) air cooler.

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Water cooling has it's ups and downs. It is a little bit more complicated to set up than regular cooling, but definitely has better cooling flow, and it's quieter. It's a great idea for small cases when you still need lots of power. If you have a bigger form factor (ATX, etc) regular cooling is cheaper, easier to set up, and just as effective. The only noticeable difference is it will be louder than water cooling. Best bet is to get an idea what it would cost for either, and make an informed decision.

USAFRet

Titan
Liquid, being a better heat conductor than air, can theoretically result in a better cooling situation.

But most of the inexpensive prebuilt liquid coolers are not more efficient than the better air coolers. And louder and more fail prone.

An air cooler has but one moving part. A liquid cooler has several.
An air cooler can never leak. Liquid coolers sometimes (rarely) do.

At the extreme ends of overclocking, you'll probably need the extra efficiency of a good liquid cooler. But that is added expense and hassle. The inexpensive ones are not really any better heatwise than a good (cheaper) air cooler.

Solution

Deathwaltz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

It's ok cause I still haven't built my pc yet I was just wondering if I should buy it or not I do want a quieter computer though do you have any recommendations on a $900 budget gaming pc build with water cooling?