[SOLVED] Whats the best 2tb external hdd for gaming

delviii

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
My friends internal hard drive broke and he sent it for repairs. They said that the connectors on both the hard drive and the motherboard are screwed up so he has to buy a new motherboard and hard drive. To save money, he just wants to get an external hard drive to put windows on and all that, would he just be better just paying more for a new motherboard/hard drive or are there good external hard drives for pc gaming out there?

Last edited by a moderator:

delviii

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
Motherboards typical have a number (at least 3) of SATA connectors for connecting drives, the repair shop said they all were fried?
I did forget to mention that its a dell inspiron 7657 laptop, so the motherboard on that may only have 1 connector for an HDD since i used to own an alienware laptop and there was only 1 port for a hard drive

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, yeah if it's a laptop that makes sense I guess.

I've never tried running windows off an external drive before to be honest. After a quick google it looks like the install process is a little more involved to trick windows into installing on an external drive, but after you get it on there it should work OK. Might be a little slower off the external drive compared to an internal one.

Reactions: delviii
Solution