Whats the best cpu for my mobo?

Steven_207

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
Hi, brought a lower budget gaming desktop a while back and im looking to upgrade the GPU and CPU... The GPU is a nvidia gtx 1060 and I'll upgrade to 1080... However I'm a bit confused about the CPU. The system is using H110M-S2H motherboard but has a pentium g4560 I heard that means the bios was updated? Anyhow based on this would a core i7 7700 or an i5 7600 work out of the box? Or would I need to update the bios? And if not what CPUs would u recommend?

I checked CPU-Z:
Chipset: intel - kaby lake - rev 05
South bridge - intel - skylake PCH - rev 31
LPCIO - IT8628

BIOS
American Megatrends Inc
Version: f21
Date: 05/23/2017

Thanks

Solution
It's really bad idea to buy K processor on non-overclockable motherboard. And the motherboard has not too much VRM, so it may underclock to lower frequencies. The best processor you could technically get is i7-7700. The processor will work out of the box, but I suggest you to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version, because there's bug in hyperthreading (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html). Also, I will strongly recommend you to buy heatsinks on VRMs, because they will need to work hard with i7. GTX 1080 will be bottlenecked by i5, so I don't recommend getting that.

noobwithpc

Reputable
May 6, 2017
It's really bad idea to buy K processor on non-overclockable motherboard. And the motherboard has not too much VRM, so it may underclock to lower frequencies. The best processor you could technically get is i7-7700. The processor will work out of the box, but I suggest you to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version, because there's bug in hyperthreading (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html). Also, I will strongly recommend you to buy heatsinks on VRMs, because they will need to work hard with i7. GTX 1080 will be bottlenecked by i5, so I don't recommend getting that.

Solution

Steven_207

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

thanks for the advice it helped a lot. as for the cooling and heating would it be a problem for non k processors? the core i5 7600 or i7 7700 non k? or would it be unstable without heatsinks? reason I ask is since I decided to go with non k and deciding between i5 or i7. again thanks a lot for the reply it helped a lot.

noobwithpc

Reputable
May 6, 2017
It shouldn't be unstable without heatsinks, but your motherboard will heat more, so it will die earlier than with heatsinks, it's just for sure that your motherboard will last longer. Theoretically, it may improve the turbo frequency of new processor little bit, but that's not for sure. If you don't want to spend money on something that is not sure to help the performance, look at temperatures of your motherboard at load after buying new CPU and based on that buy heatsinks. And if you want i5, it'll be better to consider getting GTX 1070 rather than GTX 1080, because with GTX 1080 you will have bottlenecks.