[SOLVED] Whats the best CPU upgrade for my system? The motherboard chipset is AM3

Dec 3, 2019
HI. I want to upgrade my CPU so it handles games better,,

My PC specs are
AMD Athlon X4 645 3.1GHz
4GB ram single memory (gonna buy another one for 8 gb dual) 1333 MHz
A880GM-M7 motherboard
Asus GTX 660 Ti direct cu ii 2GB

Thats the basic specs ;)

Solution
But isnt the 500 watt power supply enough?

Yes and no. For a lot of video entry level gaming cards, 500watts is enough.

But, power supplies have different build qualities. The capacitors degrade eventually in even the best of brands with 10 year warranties. This means your total power output will eventually decrease and the quality of the power will decrease leading to random computer failure when its under load.

I dont know the brand or age of your power supply, so as a safety measure i recommend replacement.

My recommendations from cheapest kia to mercedes are
Corsair cx550
Corsair cx550m (modular plugs)
Seasonic plus gold 550
Corsair rm550x
Seasonic prime

They are all acceptable in my book. There are other good...

My PC specs are
AMD Athlon X4 645 3.1GHz
A880GM-M7 motherboard

Thats the basic specs ;)
AMD Phenom™ II X6 Six-Core1065THDT65TWFK6DGR95W2.90GHz

Reactions: Z1Xx
If this is for gaming with any games made in the last 5 years, I'd likely discourage throwing more money into an AM3 rig, short of someone simply giving you a better processor for free, perhaps...

A newer DDR4/AM4 based rig will be much faster...and there are some great deals on B450 mainboards and R5-1600AF/2600 CPUs out there, but, as your GPU is 10 years old, you will likely want something capable of gaming at 1080P on newer games, presumably.

Reactions: King_V and Z1Xx
Dec 3, 2019
If this is for gaming with any games made in the last 5 years, I'd likely discourage throwing more money into an AM3 rig, short of someone simply giving you a better processor for free, perhaps...

A newer DDR4/AM4 based rig will be much faster...and there are some great deals on B450 mainboards and R5-1600AF/2600 CPUs out there, but, as your GPU is 10 years old, you will likely want something capable of gaming at 1080P on newer games, presumably.
Yea thats what im aiming for. I mainly want high very high fps on CSGO

Dec 3, 2019

But as im not an adult i cant afford a new AM4 system or any new system to be exact soo .. :/

AMD Phenom II x6 1065T is really the best that board can support, Unless you get it for free or vary low cost, I wouldn't spend much money on that system.

Remember you have to styay under the 95watt TDP with that board, the 125watt TDP most likely will not allow the system to even boot.

CSGO is quite cpu centric, but it is not well threaded.
Going from a X4 to an X6 will gain you two more threads, but essentially no increase in single thread performance.
The X4-465 has 4 threads and a total passmark rating of 4664 but a relatively low single thread rating of 1019.

If your ram upgrade is from one stick to two, you will gain dual channel ram operation which will help some.

Probably your best option is to try to overclock your X4.

What is your budget for an upgrade?
For a entry level price of $160, you can buy a
300 series intel motherboard,
a 2 x 4gb DDR4 ram kit,
and a 4 thread Intel G5400 with a similar total rating of 5000, but a single thread rating of 2175

Going from a X4 to an X6 will gain you two more threads, but essentially no increase in single thread performance.
The X4-465 has 4 threads and a total passmark rating of 4664 but a relatively low single thread rating of 1019.

If your ram upgrade is from one stick to two, you will gain dual channel ram operation which will help some.

Yep:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-645-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1065T/174vs391

The extra threads and dual channel will help somewhat, but you're not going to see a huge change, maybe 10% improvement max.

I wouldn't recommend trying to overclock however. It's not for the faint of heart on that platform.

You can consider upgrading your gpu too as that would help somewhat and can carry over to a newer system. But the same money could get you into a better used platform like this:
https://www.pcliquidations.com/p73290-dell-optiplex-3020-sff

You can move your ram over from your other system (assuming it's ddr3) and even your boot drive and you'll be running much, much faster:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...m-II-X6-1065T-vs-Intel-i3-4150/174vs391vs2252

Later on you can upgrade to an i5 or i7 cpu:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...tel-i5-4690-vs-Intel-i7-4790/2252vs2236vs2226

And the fastest processor really puts your old system in perspective:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-645-vs-Intel-i7-4790K/174vs2275

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Dec 3, 2019

What is your budget for an upgrade?
For a entry level price of $160, you can buy a
300 series intel motherboard,
a 2 x 4gb DDR4 ram kit,
and a 4 thread Intel G5400 with a similar total rating of 5000, but a single thread rating of 2175
Well as im not an adult im going to need to save up for a year or smth to even afford a better upgrade :/ thx for the suggestion tho

Dec 3, 2019
Yep:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-645-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1065T/174vs391

The extra threads and dual channel will help somewhat, but you're not going to see a huge change, maybe 10% improvement max.

I wouldn't recommend trying to overclock however. It's not for the faint of heart on that platform.

You can consider upgrading your gpu too as that would help somewhat and can carry over to a newer system. But the same money could get you into a better used platform like this:
https://www.pcliquidations.com/p73290-dell-optiplex-3020-sff

You can move your ram over from your other system (assuming it's ddr3) and even your boot drive and you'll be running much, much faster:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...m-II-X6-1065T-vs-Intel-i3-4150/174vs391vs2252

Later on you can upgrade to an i5 or i7 cpu:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...tel-i5-4690-vs-Intel-i7-4790/2252vs2236vs2226

And the fastest processor really puts your old system in perspective:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-645-vs-Intel-i7-4790K/174vs2275
Yea well i just got my gpu for only 60 bucks so i aint upgradin it for now and i rlly cant do anything else as im not an adult so its harder to get money so it whould take bout a year to save up like 200 Eur for a somewhat decent upgrade

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, I have to concur with the rest of the advice - there's not much gain you can get for any kind of upgrade on an AM3 board. The bang-for-your-buck is going to be practically nonexistent: it's a waste of money, and will have unsatisfying results.

Much better to keep whatever money you would spend on an AM3 based CPU, and have that to use toward your full platform upgrade. Don't even put any money into more RAM for this thing, unless you can get it for free or near-free.

Save for:
  • CPU
  • DDR4 RAM
  • Motherboard
  • new power supply

You'll have to wait, of course, until you save that up, but if you put anything into the old AM3 platform, that's just delaying your eventual upgrade.

AMD Athlon X4 645 3.1GHz

I have to give you props for having the guts to ask how to upgrade your older system.

Sure your young, we get that, no problem.

Everyone is right it's getting time for newer parts.

But lets see what we CAN do for you.

CSGO .................with system as is crank everything to low even 800x600

If you just do some hard looking YOU can find FREE memory, online,on curb, dumpster dive nobody thinks ddr3 is of value..................use that way of thinking and find the right person wanting to off load there junk.....................your treasure.

I also bet you will come across a more powerful graphics card that someone thinks is junk as well.

Good luck and good gaming.........

Reactions: SamirD and King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@stonecarver brings up an excellent point - the flip side of "don't put money in the old platform".. other peoples' discards.

Even non-working systems might be useful for parts. There might even be entire working systems that are ahead of what you have, but old by today's standards, that can be acquired free, or purchased for little money - possibly giving you a better overall gain than what you'd pay for the CPU replacement on your current system.

I'm not overly familiar with sources, but I've read about people getting systems companies doing discards for a mass upgrade, or recycling centers, etc.

Reactions: SamirD
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah, I have to concur with the rest of the advice - there's not much gain you can get for any kind of upgrade on an AM3 board. The bang-for-your-buck is going to be practically nonexistent: it's a waste of money, and will have unsatisfying results.

Much better to keep whatever money you would spend on an AM3 based CPU, and have that to use toward your full platform upgrade. Don't even put any money into more RAM for this thing, unless you can get it for free or near-free.

Save for:
  • CPU
  • DDR4 RAM
  • Motherboard
  • new power supply
You'll have to wait, of course, until you save that up, but if you put anything into the old AM3 platform, that's just delaying your eventual upgrade.
Yea if my friend buys a new ram stick hes gonna give me one so thats clear and isnt the 500 watt power supply ok for now?

Reactions: SamirD
Dec 3, 2019
@stonecarver brings up an excellent point - the flip side of "don't put money in the old platform".. other peoples' discards.

Even non-working systems might be useful for parts. There might even be entire working systems that are ahead of what you have, but old by today's standards, that can be acquired free, or purchased for little money - possibly giving you a better overall gain than what you'd pay for the CPU replacement on your current system.

I'm not overly familiar with sources, but I've read about people getting systems companies doing discards for a mass upgrade, or recycling centers, etc.
Well im in a pretty small country and all of our people dont take out electronics as for us they all are valuable

Dec 3, 2019
I have to give you props for having the guts to ask how to upgrade your older system.

Sure your young, we get that, no problem.

Everyone is right it's getting time for newer parts.

But lets see what we CAN do for you.

CSGO .................with system as is crank everything to low even 800x600

If you just do some hard looking YOU can find FREE memory, online,on curb, dumpster dive nobody thinks ddr3 is of value..................use that way of thinking and find the right person wanting to off load there junk.....................your treasure.

I also bet you will come across a more powerful graphics card that someone thinks is junk as well.

Good luck and good gaming.........
Well im in a pretty small country and all of our people dont take out electronics as for us they all are valuable

Dec 3, 2019

Save for:
  • CPU
  • DDR4 RAM
  • Motherboard
  • new power supply
Ok can you give me a list of good but reasonably priced motherboards? I prefer intel cpu's and idk a good power supply cuz ima keep my 660 ti for my games its good

My PC specs are
AMD Athlon X4 645 3.1GHz
A880GM-M7 motherboard

Thats the basic specs ;)
Phenum II X6 is as high as you can go.

A simple google answers the question:

Here's the cost of a new system:

Ryzen 2600 $113
B450 AM4 motherboard $80
550W power supply $80
16 gigs memory $80

$353.

Reuse video card and hard drive, and case. A RX570 can be had for $100 if you really want to upgrade to moderate frame rate 1080p gaming.

Reactions: Z1Xx
Yea well i just got my gpu for only 60 bucks so i aint upgradin it for now and i rlly cant do anything else as im not an adult so its harder to get money so it whould take bout a year to save up like 200 Eur for a somewhat decent upgrade
Don't worry. As you grow up you'll find that the system you're wishing you could upgrade to will be tomorrow's garbage. And the games you wish to play will be considered ancient. And you know what? When you get them all for free and finally get to play them, no matter what your age, it will still be fun! I'm living proof as I finally got to buy some of the original games on CD we could never afford or even afford to play. Now, I can play them anytime I want at full speed. :D

Dec 3, 2019

Ryzen 2600 $113
B450 AM4 motherboard $80
550W power supply $80
16 gigs memory $80

$353.

Reuse video card and hard drive, and case. A RX570 can be had for $100 if you really want to upgrade to moderate frame rate 1080p gaming.
Ok but i have Euros and im in a small country Latvia so the prices will vary dramaticlly

Dec 3, 2019

Ryzen 2600 $113
B450 AM4 motherboard $80
550W power supply $80
16 gigs memory $80

$353.

ASRock B450M PRO4-F at this exact moment i found this for 79 euros

Dec 3, 2019

Ryzen 2600 $113
B450 AM4 motherboard $80
550W power supply $80
16 gigs memory $80

$353.

Ok can we text on discord or Insta cuz it will be easier to communicate as i whould want your opinion on the parts

TRENDING THREADS