[SOLVED] What's the best gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hello,

I was wondering what is the best gaming laptop out there on the market. I am looking at a 4K display very important to me as I want to watch lots of 4k videos and that. But in terms of hardware and design what is the best laptop?

I was looking at the XPS 17 is this one of the best laptops out there?

Thanks

Solution
What's the best gaming laptop?
A desktop. Laptops are problematic if you REALLY want to game on them.

Yes, there will be some who disagree but I am here to tell you that the number of people who successfully game on ANY existing laptop for any length of time, is minimal, without some kind of thermal damage happening to either the CPU or GPU. If you REALLY want to game, use a desktop of some capable form OR a console. If you MUST use a laptop, keep sessions short and keep a VERY close eye on ALL thermal sensors including all board sensors, using HWinfo, to ensure you don't cook anything. Manufacturers lie a lot when it comes to whether these devices can live very long or not with the high TDP nature of the hardware they are...
What's the best gaming laptop?
A desktop. Laptops are problematic if you REALLY want to game on them.

Yes, there will be some who disagree but I am here to tell you that the number of people who successfully game on ANY existing laptop for any length of time, is minimal, without some kind of thermal damage happening to either the CPU or GPU. If you REALLY want to game, use a desktop of some capable form OR a console. If you MUST use a laptop, keep sessions short and keep a VERY close eye on ALL thermal sensors including all board sensors, using HWinfo, to ensure you don't cook anything. Manufacturers lie a lot when it comes to whether these devices can live very long or not with the high TDP nature of the hardware they are stuffing in them these days.

Consider, for a nearly 200% improvement in performance in most "gaming" laptops over the last ten years or so, there have been relatively few changes to the cooling system engineering and design over that same period. Some, but few. Not enough to make the hardware last if you use it like they say you can use it. And again, that's my opinion, but that's based on the use of a lot of devices for this exact thing and other types of usage, and what I've consistently seen here during that time.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.