What's the best GPU For around 100-150 bucks for an A8 3850?

elderMat7

Honorable
Feb 4, 2018
So, my old GPU died and I'm looking for a new one. I was thinking a GTX 750 but some say that the bottleneck will be big. I managed to get my A8 to 3.7 ghz.:ouch:..Will there still be a bottleneck?
If yes suggest me something for 150$ max. If not 750 i think 680 will be perfect but not sure. Thanks.

Solution
The exact same model as your friends. It worked. Many won't as the 750ti was the earliest Maxwell gp released and had some serious issues with uefi-legacy bios. Since whatever your friend has worked, that'd be the one to choose since there's no guarantee any other will/won't have issues.

Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Video Card ($146.63 @ OutletPC)

Would be my choice, comes with full factory warranty and is brand new, not used.

WildCard999

Titan
A GTX 750 or GT 1030 would be fine for that CPU. As for any bottleneck the overclock should of helped a bit but it really comes down to the game and your resolution but either way it's still going to be a massive upgrade over the APU/iGPU.

I'm always skeptical about used GPU's especially now with mining so my choice would be the GT 1030 for like $90 and use the rest for RAM if needed or games.

elderMat7

Honorable
Feb 4, 2018
Thank you for the fast reply. I was rockin' a gtx 480 before which was a beast ( i play mostly cs go) .If the gtx 750ti is gonna perform better Im going to buy it. It's probably gonna be way better right?

Im kind of suspicious because a friend of mine (he is really into pc's) read somewhere and believes it himself that a gtx 750ti on that cpu will be a downgrade from the gtx 480 bc of the bottleneck. What do you think?

WildCard999

Titan
Ok, so yea the 750/1030 will be a little bit of a downgrade but it's hard to tell what performance impact that would of had compared to the newer cards as it'll be different in every game and there's no way to tell, at least now, how much your CPU held back that GTX 480.

ARICH5

Distinguished
ya, i wouldnt brag too much about a amd A8. horrible performance. a dual core pentium can out perform it. id say a old 480 was the best it could do without bottlenecking. if 1080ti's were 100$ we wouldnt recommend it. a gtx1030 would be a good fit.

elderMat7

Honorable
Feb 4, 2018
I didnt brag.. Im searching for the best budget gpu..Also a 980 is gonna bottleneck so bad and you re talking about a 1080?? Pretty obvoious.. You said it yourself that a 480 is the best it can do without a bottleneck.. And out of the nothing a 1080 jumps out..

WildCard999

Titan

That'll be good, try out your games and see how well it it works. If the performance is similar to that 480 then it means that your CPU held it back quite a bit but good news is that going with a 1030/750/750 ti means you'll get similar performance and saves your a bit of cash.

elderMat7

Honorable
Feb 4, 2018
*UPDATE* So Im running with my friend's 750ti. It got 13851 on 3D Mark 05. 80-130 fps on cs go low/very higs graphics. Dark souls 3 around 60fps too. Now my friend is playing fortnite on 1080p seems to be 100 fps Most of the time on low graphics. Just tried of curiousity on epic/high-30-40 fps. I wanted to buy a 680 or 7870 But the only i can find are used and i want a new one for obvious reasons. So yeah probably will end up buying a 750 ti. What do you think guys?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The exact same model as your friends. It worked. Many won't as the 750ti was the earliest Maxwell gp released and had some serious issues with uefi-legacy bios. Since whatever your friend has worked, that'd be the one to choose since there's no guarantee any other will/won't have issues.

Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Video Card ($146.63 @ OutletPC)

Would be my choice, comes with full factory warranty and is brand new, not used.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. A bottleneck is a crimp on data flow. In your case that'll usually be the cpu. But not always. A lot depends on the game. For cs:go, it's not exactly taxing on the cpu, it's single thread heavy, but that's it, so cpus generally don't have much of an issue. What a 1050 can do is open up available graphics settings. Too many ppl just stick the settings on low or medium or ultra and never give thought to individual settings. Grass detail, AA, viewing distance really very cpu bound settings, you could drop those to low and raise most all the rest to high (gpu bound) and get better looking performance than sticking everything on medium.

A 1050 isn't high end gaming, it's pretty much the minimum for decent 1080p gaming. It'll generally run med-ultra in many games @60fps or better. As is, it's the 2Gb version, not the 4Gb version (which costs more) so is equitable to the 750ti in ability, but is stronger at 1080p for fps.