Question What's the best method to move OEM License onto New Hardware

Jun 26, 2019
Folks, I need the best step by step for updating hardware.

I just bought an older Dell PC with a Windows 10 license (assuming OEM Windows 10 Home)--I also assume it will be pre-installed on the cheap hard drive. This is an ebay refurb unit. I only wanted it for the case and Windows license. The unit is operational and will boot, but I haven't yet let it go past the first screen.

I got it with the intention of ripping out the PSU and Motherboard and replacing the guts with new hardware. I simply want to know what is the best/easiest way to use the Windows 10 License.

Once I have the new hardware installed, I plan to do a fresh install of Windows from an ISO (thumbdrive).

Do I activate the Windows license in the old machine first and then do the install using the "Upgraded Hardware" option,

OR

Do I not activate the Windows License, install the hardware and OS and just use the License Key? Will an OEM version allow this?

Or is there a better way? I'm just concerned because it's an OEM License and probably tied to the existing hardware (I think--I'm not sure if it's already tied or not...not sure when that happens--during initial install or after activation).
Thanks for your help!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are stuck with that motherboard if you want to use the Windows license. Not transferable. Might also be stuck with the hard drive.

Much of what you describe is what you can do with a retail copy, or a license you have registered to an e-mail address.

Reactions: smo99

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard. The exception was older OEM licenses for older versions of Windows that were updated to Windows 10; in that case Microsoft prioritized getting people onto Windows 10. Microsoft's loosened up other requirements in the last couple of years, but unless I've missed a development, OEM Windows 10 licenses from large companies (Dell, HP, etc) are still tied to the hardware.

Reactions: smo99