[SOLVED] What's the best mid range price digital camera (300-600)

Solution
I'm looking to record youtube videos/videos in general at high quality.
Quick autofocus would be very helpful
Well, I can only think of a couple.

The lumix gx85 has 4k and a stabilized sensor, but the af is a bit iffy. The lcd tilts up and down, but not sideways, so vlogging style is impossible.

Then there's the lumix g7, it has 4k and a lcd that flips sideways, but the af is still lacking and the sensor is not stabilized.

The lumix g85(not the gx85) is $700 so really in the price bracket you want, but has a stabilized sensor, 4k and a flip out screen, af is a still a weak spot.

All these cameras have a crop factor of 2x by default and at 4k increases to 2.2x. (full frame equivalent), so the kit lens will normally be 24mm...

kanewolf

Titan
There are two parts -- Camera body and lens(es). If you already have Canon lenses then a Canon body is a no-brainer.

What are the primary types of photography you are interested in? The type of photography influences lens choice.

Have you handled an EOS m50? If not, you really need to. You need to know if it is comfortable in your hands.

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
I am more interested in video recording.
I have handled eos canon cameras before and I have no canon lenses but I know a decent amount about cameras and how to use them.

The m50 has excellent af at 1080p and good image quality to boot, but is absolute potato with af at 4k along with that egregious 2.5x crop. So if you don't plan on 4k recording and just stick with 1080p, you should be good.

There is a limitation in lens selection, with only a handful of native ef-m lenses from canon and most of them are quite slow(~f/3.5-4) if you were to look for dramatic focus pulls. But, an adapter from canon is quite inexpensive at ~$100 and will get you access to canons venerable ef-s line of lenses.

The body handling is very different from the eos dslr's but is still very good, definitely better then the a6000 grip. The touch screen and menu interface is also leagues better then the sony, panny, and oly interfaces.

I ran with a em5 mkII for a while (now only have a mkI) and the in body stabilization was an absolute life saver with my manual lenses. So if you plan on using vintage glass or fast manual lenses, perhaps look into a lumix g85 as that's the only camera with image stabilization(new) at this price point.

Personally, i would look into the used market, get a a6000 from keh outlet, and use the remaining funds for a nice fast sigma or so. But If new is a must, and you don't plan to use 4k video and can deal with the slow lenses, a m50 is pretty solid especially with that af system at 1080p.

Reactions: OrdJk
I'm looking to record youtube videos/videos in general at high quality.
Quick autofocus would be very helpful
Well, I can only think of a couple.

The lumix gx85 has 4k and a stabilized sensor, but the af is a bit iffy. The lcd tilts up and down, but not sideways, so vlogging style is impossible.

Then there's the lumix g7, it has 4k and a lcd that flips sideways, but the af is still lacking and the sensor is not stabilized.

The lumix g85(not the gx85) is $700 so really in the price bracket you want, but has a stabilized sensor, 4k and a flip out screen, af is a still a weak spot.

All these cameras have a crop factor of 2x by default and at 4k increases to 2.2x. (full frame equivalent), so the kit lens will normally be 24mm and in 4k it will be 30mm.(ff equivalent)

With the m50(1.6x crop factor by default), the kit lens would be 24mm at 1080p and in 4k it would be 38mm,

I would recommend trying them out in store first if you have a store nearby, how they feel and doing a quick demo for af performance.

Reactions: OrdJk
Solution