[SOLVED] What's the best mid-tier CPU right now?

Feb 20, 2020
I have an i5-4690k right now for the past 4-5 years and it was the best bang for your buck at the time but it's obviously dated now. What would be considered the 4690k of this gen of CPU? I haven't been up to date with the next gen hardware so I'm at a lost.

Solution
Well right now, is like what everyone wrote already, from lower to higher (price/performance)

Ryzen 5 1600AF, Ryzen 5 2600/X, Ryzen 5 3600/X <- Those are the best CPU money can buy for great to excelent performance today.

If you can go up to the $300 segment, then theres the Ryzen 7 3700X, but it will depend on your GPU to see if its worth the investement. specially in the light of the soon to be launched Ryzen 4xxx. (later this year)

On Intel, none of the current CPU makes any sense anymore, not when you hear they will be launching a new iteration of thier 14nm process but now with HT enable for the i5 and i7. What does this mean?, well you should be able to get a i9 performance lvl cpu (with 8 cores and 16 threads), but on the i7...
Feb 20, 2020
There’s a lot of AMD suggestions and back then we all know how AMD was the budget man’s build but I’ve heard some stuff about Ryzen but honestly... I don’t know much about it because I’ve been an Intel guy.

I would like to stick with Intel unless... How is AMD comparing to Intel? My budget is around $350-$400

Feb 20, 2020
Well, if you consider bang-for-the-buck, the it is extraordinarily difficult to argue with the 12nm refresh of the Ryzen 5 1600.

Even though it's not quite as fast as a Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600, at $85 for 6 cores/12 threads, it absolutely cannot be beat.
$85 for a CPU?! That’s insane

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a lot of AMD suggestions and back then we all know how AMD was the budget man’s build but I’ve heard some stuff about Ryzen but honestly... I don’t know much about it because I’ve been an Intel guy.

I would like to stick with Intel unless... How is AMD comparing to Intel? My budget is around $350-$400
Is the $350-400 what you want to spend on the CPU alone or CPU, RAM, and Motherboard?

AMD Is still the budget mans build for sure. But now its because their CPUs are cheaper for the same performance. They still cost less, making them a better value, but they are about equal to Intel CPUs in performance. The 3rd gen are better than intel in some aspects. I highly recommend the Ryzen because you end up paying less for essentially the same performance. Plus a AMD Motherboard tends to be cheaper, and much more widely compatible with future upgrades. The case of the old AMD CPUs being the "budget" chip since you only get one if you couldn't afford better is no longer true.

1600AF is no longer avail at that price, but some folks paid $79.99 for the R5 2600X during the last Microcenter sale and made out better
You can still get the 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen 1600 AF for $85 on Amazon. It's never been listed on PCPartPicker, as far as I know. It's the version that comes with the smaller "Stealth" cooler..

I would not say that it's the "4690k of this gen" though. It's an excellent budget offering, being a notably better value than anything else for around $150 or less, but if someone is willing to pay more, a Ryzen 3600 for around $175 would be the next logical step up, offering nearly 20% more CPU performance per core due to its better IPC and higher stock clocks. Or, for around $310, the Ryzen 3700X moves up to 8-cores with 16-threads, which might potentially handle certain "next-generation" games a bit better a few years down the line, plus another 5% or so more performance per-core compared to the 3600.

For Intel, I would wait until their next generation of processors becomes available, which is rumored to be within the next couple months or so. Intel's current i5s and i7s both lack SMT (Hyperthreading), putting them at a disadvantage in heavily-threaded workloads compared to AMD's current offerings, even if the unlocked K parts are technically capable of a bit more performance at moderately-threaded tasks. Some games are already seeing less-stable performance from the 6-threads of an i5-9600K, so the i7-9700K's 8-threads is the minimum that currently makes much sense on their side, in my opinion, at least if performance in future demanding games is a concern. But, that processor is $370, and requires a fairly decent aftermarket cooler to get the most out of it, driving the total price of the CPU and cooler well above $400. And to get 8 cores with SMT, you would need to move up to a $460+ i9-9900 or a $500+ 9900K. If gaming performance is a concern, that money would probably be better put toward graphics hardware for most.

In any case, Intel's next processors will apparently match AMD's in terms of thread counts, adding SMT across the lineup. So, the "10th gen" i5s should offer the same number of cores and threads as the current Ryzen 5s, and the i7s will match the current Ryzen 7s, while likely still offering a bit more performance per-core. From a performance standpoint, current i7 performance should be available at i5 pricing, and i9 performance should be available at i7 pricing. That should make them a lot more competitive. Of course, Intel's processors will still be built on an older, less efficient manufacturing process, making them hotter and more expensive to properly cool than AMDs 7nm offerings, but many will likely find that a worthwhile tradeoff for a bit more performance.

We can of course expect AMD to respond with price reductions to stay competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the next generation of Ryzens getting more cores at any given price point later in the year, though it might be a while before having more than 8-cores and 16-threads provides much benefit to gaming, at least for anyone not streaming from the same system.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
but I’ve heard some stuff about Ryzen
Good, or bad? If bad, I'd be curious as to what you've heard.

There's no reason to stick with Intel as thing stand today. Intel got lazy and complacent, too used to charging a lot of money for incremental changes. When Ryzen came out, Intel was caught with their pants down and have been scrambling to play catch up since.

Yes, if you're willing to pay in extra money and extra heat, an Intel processor will edge out an AMD processor in gaming-only. That's about it. And even then, only in max-FPS situations (say if using a very high end video card at only 1920x1080 resolution). Throw in streaming, and suddenly the extra threads become very important.

What will be interesting is this though.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/compu...umors-news-specs-features-price-release-date/

If you read a little downward....

"Zen 3 improvements on desktop Ryzen 4000 CPUs won’t be quite so dramatic. With the architectural advancements, we’re expecting a roughly 10% increase in performance over Ryzen 3000 desktop chips, maybe as high as 15% in some cases. The IPC uplift is notable, however. Since that applies to both single-threaded and multi-threaded settings, it should close the gap with Intel in gaming even further. Although Ryzen 4000 will have to compete with 10th-generation, 14nm Comet Lake CPUs, it should do so favorably and may be a more capable line of gaming chips."

I'm seeing their clock speeds, which look lower than this gens clocks. Those numbers may be mobile cpus though. That will be interesting, but if they can do a 10-15% ipc improvement and improve clock speeds vs the 3000 series, intel may still be hurting.

I know intel is much bigger than amd, but seems like Microsoft was starting to use more of the EPYC chips in Azure. So if amd is starting to get into the data center, that's a good place to be.

What will be interesting is this though.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/compu...umors-news-specs-features-price-release-date/

If you read a little downward....

"Zen 3 improvements on desktop Ryzen 4000 CPUs won’t be quite so dramatic. With the architectural advancements, we’re expecting a roughly 10% increase in performance over Ryzen 3000 desktop chips, maybe as high as 15% in some cases. The IPC uplift is notable, however. Since that applies to both single-threaded and multi-threaded settings, it should close the gap with Intel in gaming even further. Although Ryzen 4000 will have to compete with 10th-generation, 14nm Comet Lake CPUs, it should do so favorably and may be a more capable line of gaming chips."

I'm seeing their clock speeds, which look lower than this gens clocks. Those numbers may be mobile cpus though. That will be interesting, but if they can do a 10-15% ipc improvement and improve clock speeds vs the 3000 series, intel may still be hurting.

I know intel is much bigger than amd, but seems like Microsoft was starting to use more of the EPYC chips in Azure. So if amd is starting to get into the data center, that's a good place to be.
Zen 2 already has a 7% IPC advantage over Intel 9000 series. The only reason Intel is faster in gaming is due to a greater than 7% clock speed and more Intel specific optimizations in the games itself. If Zen 3 has another 10-15% IPC gain over Zen 2, then the 5% lower performance in 1080p gaming on a 2080Ti will switch the other way.

Well right now, is like what everyone wrote already, from lower to higher (price/performance)

Ryzen 5 1600AF, Ryzen 5 2600/X, Ryzen 5 3600/X <- Those are the best CPU money can buy for great to excelent performance today.

If you can go up to the $300 segment, then theres the Ryzen 7 3700X, but it will depend on your GPU to see if its worth the investement. specially in the light of the soon to be launched Ryzen 4xxx. (later this year)

On Intel, none of the current CPU makes any sense anymore, not when you hear they will be launching a new iteration of thier 14nm process but now with HT enable for the i5 and i7. What does this mean?, well you should be able to get a i9 performance lvl cpu (with 8 cores and 16 threads), but on the i7 line and price segment (unless intel rise the new i7 price really high).

So yeah, if you need to buy a CPU now, then AMD should be the way to go; well it probably will be the way to go even if intel launch thier CPUs in april. The price diference and similar performance should stick to AMD.

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution