[SOLVED] What's the best monitor for a 1070/i7-3770k config that will be upgraded to 3080/i9-9900k?

Nov 13, 2020
I'm currently on a BenQ XL2730 with 1070 gpu and i7-3770k. At some point next year I plan on upgrading to a 3080/i9-9900k but I don't want to wait.

I don't want to splurge too much but I do want to make sure that whatever monitor I get now won't bottleneck my upgraded rig.

From what I understand I need a minimum of 1440p, 144hz to ensure there's no bottlenecking...is that accurate? Or should I be looking at 4k 240hz?

I mostly play CS and I know rr/ips/ms are most important but I do want to be able to play next gen games in the future so i need a balance between fps-minded features and overall gaming performance.

I would prefer to spend under 650CAD (~500USD). Right now I'm looking at ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ - is that a good choice? Any better recommendations or insights? Thanks!

Solution
I'm currently on a BenQ XL2730 with 1070 gpu and i7-3770k. At some point next year I plan on upgrading to a 3080/i9-9900k but I don't want to wait.

I don't want to splurge too much but I do want to make sure that whatever monitor I get now won't bottleneck my upgraded rig.

From what I understand I need a minimum of 1440p, 144hz to ensure there's no bottlenecking...is that accurate? Or should I be looking at 4k 240hz?

I mostly play CS and I know rr/ips/ms are most important but I do want to be able to play next gen games in the future so i need a balance between fps-minded features and overall gaming performance.

I would prefer to spend under 650CAD (~500USD). Right now I'm looking at ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ - is that a good...

I would prefer to spend under 650CAD (~500USD). Right now I'm looking at ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ - is that a good choice? Any better recommendations or insights? Thanks!
You have a very good monitor. The next step would be 4k IPS or VA panel.
Are you looking into a larger monitor, higher pixel count?
The only thing I would look into is a better image quality (color reproduction) and viewing angle...maybe going with an IPS panel or even a VA.

I wouldn't care to go with higher refresh rate since I have yet to meet a human being that could tell the difference above 120Hz.

If you looking into 4k.... Acer Nitro XV340CK or LG 27GN950-B

Solution