Question What's the best Nvidia card I can get for under $120 that has at least 8 gb?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Hi, posted a few days ago after giving up looking for a card, but I've changed my mind and am looking again because Stable Diffusion is so slow on my 4gb AMD.

What's the best NEW Nvidia card I can get for under $120 that has at least 8 gb vram?

Also what's the cheapest NEW Nvidia card that still has at least 8 gb vram?

US Markets. I've checked the usual places, but wondering if there are any good Black Friday deals. Also just wonder what the cheap cards are so I can keep an eye out for dropping prices.

Thanks.

Seeing this for $119 over at NewEgg right now.

SOYO Radeon RX5500XT Graphic Card 8GB GDDR6 128Bit 8Pin PClex8 4.0 Desktop Gaming Computer GPU Video Card​

But I'd like to pay less and still get the 8gb if possible.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks guys.

What's the CHEAPEST AMD Graphics card I can get with at least 8gb?
You can get some RX580s for under $100. However, those are quite old now having been released in 2017. AMD isn't going to do much if any really new driver updates for them. Spending the money on the 5500XT or even better an RX6600 is a better idea. They are based on RDNA instead of GCN and will be supported longer.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $284.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 09:55 EST-0500

For reference the 6600 in gaming is at least 75% faster than the RX580 all while using less power.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Considering in our recent look at the benchmarks, an RX 6950 XT generated images at less than a third of the speed of an old RTX 2060 Super, I doubt you'd be happy with an RX 580.

Given that making AI images is one of the most GPU-intensive tasks most consumer might get into, the technology is relatively new on a practical level, and hardware solutions in GPUs work better than just plain ol' speed, you're chasing rainbows here trying to find a new, good one for $120. New GPUs for $120 are much better for playing World of Warcraft, a much less GPU-intensive operation.

So the question is: where are you willing to compromise and by how much? Would you be willing to get a used GPU? That'll reduce the out-of-pocket cash, though you pay with risk instead. Are you willing to come up on price? Or are you willing to have image generation take a very long time? You're going to have to pick one of these; arguably two since good Stability Diffusion GPUs used tend to start in the $150-$200 range.

If you are willing to look at used, I'd consider looking at a 5600xt 6gb card. When I've looked at benchmarks it's not far behind the rx 6600 and sometimes is beating the older GTX 1080 8gb card from Nvidia. But the kicker is the price you can find it for.

For example here's one listed on ebay for $109.00 plus $14.50 shipping, but listed as "good used, tested working" and the guy has 100% feedback across almost 2000 feedbacks.

A card like that I wouldn't be really afraid of. On the other hand there are some that are listed as being new cards on there from people with 92-93% feedback. I think I'd be a bit wary of those. I suspect those might be sellers from overseas who had lots for mining and tossed a new cooler on after cleaning them up and list them as new. Slightly over your budget, but I can say I was using one recently even playing spider man remastered at 1440p with fsr balanced turned on and it actually wasn't a bad experience imo. On a budget I'd definitely give that a look.

Reactions: Order 66
Based on what @DSzymborski showed in the benchmarks, if all you are about is Stable Diffusion then the cheapest NEW card that will give you the best performance is the Intel Arc 750. If you want to stay nVidia then it is the RTX3050. If you also care about gaming performance then the RX7600 is better. The Arc 750 has the best Stable Diffusion scores (+3%) and ends up faster (+30%) than the 3050 in gaming but slower (-20%) than the 7600. The 7600 is the slowest of the 3 in Stable Diffusion (-20%) but fastest in gaming (+20%). The 3050 is in the middle in Stable Diffusion (-3%) but MUCH slower in gaming (-32% & -60%).

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Asus Phoenix GeForce RTX 3050 8GB 8 GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sparkle ORC OC Arc A750 8 GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Core Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $629.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 11:35 EST-0500